After years of stalking I now stand before you! A new FJ80 Owner! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not exactly NEW, but pretty new. I have been ogling your rides here for years. Ive always been in a weird spot though. I made enough money to not want an 80 as my DD and not enough money to have as a toy. I usually go way overboard with my toys so I knew I wouldnt be able to do all the things I wanted to do to it.

Things have changed. After 20+ years of machining and tired of being the fastest guy at the special Olympics, I decided that I had my last confrontation. I am in my second year in engineering school and just applied to proschool here in Bend Oregon. Now at the ripe old age of 39 I am in the Energy Systems Engineering program at OSU Cascades campus. So needless to say I have downsized my payments from a 2011 tundra to a 2001 tundra, and now a 92 LC(no Payments).

So I found this LC for 1500.00 with a weird noise in the front end. I figured it was a birfield, so I ordered up the stuff and rebuilt the front end. While I was under the bruiser I noticed a shiny ring around the rear driveshaft flange. HMMMMMM!!!!! Well I didnt pursue it because I wanted to see if my first hunch was wrong. After the PM on the front end, the noise was still there. I climed back under it and investigate further. Sure enough the shiny new looking metal was from the exhaust hangar that tore loose and left the exhaust resting on the driveshaft flange. Pulled it up and rewelded the hangar and BINGO! No more funny noise! Oh well, the front end needed new seals and juice.

Next on to the radiator that was weeping. Ordered up a new radiator and decided I would PM the seals on the timing cover to stop the tiny oil leak that was present. After putting it back together I had a gusher not just a an oil leak, but a river. So I am sure you now know I accidently didnt pay attention to the bolt length not seeing any noticable difference when I took them off. Well I put a longer bolt in the short spot and pulled the oil pump cover away from the block. Damnit! So back apart it came and after pulling the valve cover to get to the pushrods so I can PM the oil pump cover seal, I see the worst GLOB of crap I have ever seen in a valve cover? Well that sucks. I also found junkyard nomenclature on the back of the valve cover. So that explains the condition of every bolt and fastener on the thing. If it wasnt oiled over it was rusty. Not ideal. So after pulling the head it looks like I would want to do the bottom end. No hatch left on the cylinders. Not bad but not something I want to put my money into.

So knowing I wanted to do a 1UZ swap I started looking for parts. I found some put not wanting to rush my work I knew I didnt want to do that quite yet. I need this truck back on the road in as fast as timeline as I can. I started looking for a good running 3fe or even a good bottom end of a 2f. Its funny how 2Fs are now worth more than scrap metal. A guy here in town had a few but he said it wasnt even worth his time to pull a motor for less than 800? WOW?

Well I was on Craigslist the other day looking for options and found a wrecked 96 with low miles and leather interior! I didnt think too long knowing what is possible with these engines. If you havent checked out the sand drags in Dubai then look it up on Youtube. The 1FZ has gotten a bad rep for head problems, but with a cometic HG and some good head studs, they are amaizing. Much more aftermarket support than a 3FE. I think if they can push 2000 horsies than I will be good. So I ended up getting it delivered for 1500.00. For what is normally an 800 dollar tow bill from Portland I would say I got it fairly cheap. No lockers but I will address that later on.

So for now I will be freshening this 1FZ up a bit with a little lower compression for what will follow.

So what is a complete 3FE with ECU worth? I know the 2FE guys want the ECU and top end so that may help me offset my costs a bit, but how much? I will be selling then entire running gear out of the 92, so if anyone in Oregon would like it make me an offer.

I will now go back to my usual researching of the vast knowledge base on this site in preparation for the months to come as I get my swapping underway. I can tell you that I am much more excited than my wife! She knows that it will be cool when its done but for now its a big mess.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for the build thread. Remember though I am going to be very busy with School, two boys, and trying to keep the wife happy, so this may take a while.

Jason
Redmond Oregon

Welcome! Looking forward to reading about your progress and builds. Sounds like you've done your research.

Good job on research. Search is your friend. Welcome to the addiction!

Good job on research. Search is your friend. Welcome to the addiction!

Not much chance of keeping the genie in the bottle now, just try to temper yourself, most of us can't.

Welcome:flipoff2:.
Good luck with your swap. I also spent a bit of time looking into a 1UZ swap a couple of months back, but your right I think sticking with the 1FZ and a turbo.

Congrats. Welcome

Thanks for the welcome guys. I am no stranger to 4 wheel drives, engine swaps, lifts, or forced air, or even Toyotas for that matter. Ive had a few. The first was a 74 LC. Ive had about everything under the sun including a few jeeps, VWs, a Cummins or two, Subarus, even an El Camino I got in trade for a boat in highschool! I screw with everything. Cant ever leave much alone. Turbo setups are cheap if you scavenge parts and can fab at all. I found a cast log style manifold I will be using for the turbo, I have an old HX turbo that may get used. I just didnt want to do the 1UZ right now because I didnt want to do my first full standalone engine management on a truck I need to get running. It will be bad enough just swapping in all the 95 wiring and ECU. Wiring is not my favorite. I am half tempted to leave the engine alone because if I start taking it apart I will see things I want to "freshen up" It never stops. I kinda want to get it in and driving and find another 1FZ to build slowly. I will be doing some paint work on the old beast as I switch it over. Perfect time to change colors when there is no engine or interior in it.

Here is a pic of the "new" one.

95_zpsioffulm2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
95.jpg

Ill get some pics of the other one later. I need to keep at my physics homework for now.

Jason

Holy shirt. Is that blood on the grill?

Nope. No blood, but there is a nice chunk of hair on the a pillar. I asked and he said they both walked away. A guy and a girl. The guy was supposedly driving but the girls hair is on the drivers side. They were impaired and didnt have full coverage. They gave the truck to the wrecker in payment for the tow. He just asked for his 20 inch wheels off of it. The motor and interior are absolutely beautiful. It was a beautiful truck.

:eek:

I would be interested in the sombrero emblem in the front as well as the one on the rear lift gate and the RR bumperette if it's in good shape. And the front seats if they are oak and the leather is good. Mine is a 96, made in late 95.

I've heard it's beautiful in Bend, OR.

Welcome.
I totally understand the "while i am here...I might as well do the..." Its the reason my '76 Bronco has more money in it than fort knox has gold.

As for your '96...damn, can't believe they scrapped that...a clay bar some wool pads and cutting compound and most of that would buff right out :rimshot:

Thanks guys. I am going to put an add in the "parting out" section for most of the pieces I am not going to use. Ahhhh Yes. I had a 69 bronco in highschool and a few years after. I had a ton of money in that. At the time it sold for 6500. It would be worth 15 grand in todays market. It looks like I will start tearing them down on Friday, so a build thread may start sooner than later.

Welcome. Scary donor vehicle - glad you're able to give lots of the parts new life, and glad the occupants made it out OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom