after market seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i'm looking into gettin new seats for my 77 fj40. my questions are one which seats to go with? looking for comfortability, and best quality. must last heavy off-raoding and lots of md and water. also is there a company that makes mounting brackets for them or do i need to fabricate my own? any and all help is appriciated. thanks in advance
nate
77 fj40

If yo got the money get Beards they are kicka** but pricey about 500 a seat and you can buy the seat sliders separate.I 'm to cheap so I went down to pull a part a got a set from a mazda pickup 16.00 dollars each.made/welded my own sliders and brackets when there trashed from mud and water here I come pull a part . RCI's are to hard and uncomfotable :G

If yer gonna get em muddy, go pick up a set of junkyarders. For $50 a pair, you won't care if they get wet or if they need replacing every 2-3 years when they mold out. I run corbeau baja SS seats and really like them, but they are not for the muddin crowd.

Brackets are all custom...I fabbed in sliders I bought from Summit.

I say junkyard seats. I got a pair of Pontiac Sunbird seats that were perfect for $40. I made up a quick bracket and slapped 'em in. If I wanted to I could go get some cheap seat covers to protect them. My 2 pennies...

I run the plastic ones from Summit. If they fit ya, not good for big framed guys, they are cheap. The covers and seats are like $80 each, and if ya remover the covers they are waterproof.

I really like my original buckets that are recovered. Waterproof vinyl, comfortable, look stock (cause they are :slap:). &nbsp:Don't know whats the matter with yours, or why you want aftermarkets, but you could look into grabbin a set out of another cruiser or recovering yours. I think part of the reason mine are so water repellant is because they were sprayed with black vinyl paint by PO cause they got oversprayed.

woody, summit is just up the road from me, what did u pay for your sliders and do u still have part number for it?

cruiserga,
whole reason i'm lookin for new seats is cuz i'm 6'3'' 180lbs and my seat puts me into the dash cuz i cant move it back any futher. and i cant adjust the back on the seat either. not one for siting in a 90 degree angle for long road trips which i put on my truck.. gettin ready to move down to florida in a week and half 15 hours with sh*tty seats sucks. driving from cali was good enough for me..

so majority votes for junkers, go check it out and see what i can come up with.
thanks
nate

don't recall the part number, but it was their house brand of seat slider....IIRC, $25-30 apiece.

I recently put in a pair of Saab 900 seats out of a late 80's car. They went into my 1968 which had bench seats so I had to fabricate a complete frame for them, but it wasn't all that hard.

The seats are great, and a big guy like me is very comfortable in them. I recently took a weekend trip in the cruiser and drove 6 hours each way. After 6 hours in the 40 I wasn't sore or even all that tired.

woody, summit is just up the road from me, what did u pay for your sliders and do u still have part number for it?

cruiserga,
whole reason i'm lookin for new seats is cuz i'm 6'3'' 180lbs and my seat puts me into the dash cuz i cant move it back any futher
I'm 6' 1-2 ish and 240 :eek:. But yeah go stockers, friend has got some Ford Astro seats that look pretty comfortable and are adjustable and all that nonsense. But they don't allow use of the stock cover for the gas tank filler neck/vapor condensor.

to me the stock seats aren't to bad. but they get pretty uncomfrotable ater about 4-5 hours on them.. so i figure while there out for the trans and engine swap may as well put new ones in..
nate

I'm 6' 1-2 ish and 240 :eek:.  But yeah go stockers, friend has got some Ford Astro seats that look pretty comfortable and are adjustable and all that nonsense.  But they don't allow use of the stock cover for the gas tank filler neck/vapor condensor.

Ford Astro? Chevy made the Astro van. Used pedistal mounts.

Waiiiit a minute didn't Ford make a big boxy van back in the early 90's with a sharply point down hood that was VERY ugly called the Astrovan? Well I do know that my friends seats came of some van, comfortable and big.

Ok thats what I was thinkin of
Chevrolet
Can Hardly Ever Virtually Run On Luck Every Time
GM-Also the first of the big truck manuf. to institute IFS in trucks, thats enough for me :G Also the first for IRS :eek: :-X
Sorry had to defend my Fords. :dunno:

classic cruisers of salida, colorado have seat bracket extenders that worked for me (6'2 1/2"). you can find them at classiccruisers.com

As far as the filler for the gas goes, the shape of teh seats i put in mine nested in here perfectly and looked custom. they came from a prelude (2001).

I would have to say if you want custom sliders on your aftermarket seats go get some from a heep cherokee they have nice double sliders which let you go back and forth aswell as leaning back too :D I am using some with my solid bucket seats in my 40

well if all goes to plan, today i'm going to head up to summit to get parts for my engine, look and test out seats, and if i find any good ones that are comfortable i'll by if not then i'm going to junk yard for now.. my boss works for a viper racing company and is trying to et me a set of the viper seats, so if he can get me those that would be nice.
nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom