After market Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since finding triple locked 80 series Cruisers is getting more and more difficult, what are the best aftermarket lockers to install on an 80?

Since finding triple locked 80 series Cruisers is getting more and more difficult, what are the best aftermarket lockers to install on an 80?
The kind that fit the truck and your budget.

ARB
Eaton-Harrop
Aussie

Harrop is the way to go for so many reasons. That said, nothing wrong with slapping an auto in the rear...they work incredibly well. Had one on my last truck.

Thanks for the insight. One last question, I am looking at purchasing an 80 (going to look at it Saturday) and the seller says that the center differential is engaged but he cannot get it to release. Any ideas what the problem might be? Simple to complex?

Thanks for the insight. One last question, I am looking at purchasing an 80 (going to look at it Saturday) and the seller says that the center differential is engaged but he cannot get it to release. Any ideas what the problem might be? Simple to complex?

Center Diff would be the Transfer-case. The differential there is 'locked' via an actuator. IF it is truly stuck....the reason for it could be quite simple or might take a little 'doing'. But certainly not insurmountable. What year model is the vehicle?

Some Tcases had/have a Viscous Coupler that can 'seize'. Hopefully the seller knows the difference. Even if that were the case, it can be removed with no ill effects to performance.

Selectable in the front is the way to go, I had an Aussie-type locker in the front of a different vehicle (not all-wheel drive), would not recommend.

Last edited:
Center Diff would be the Transfer-case. The differential there is 'locked' via an actuator. IF it is truly stuck....the reason for it could be quite simple or might take a little 'doing'. But certainly not insurmountable. What year model is the vehicle?

Some Tcases had/have a Viscous Coupler that can 'seize'. Hopefully the seller knows the difference. Even if that were the case, it can be removed with no ill effects to performance.
Vehicle is a 94. Thanks for your insight!

In my opinion, you're far better off getting an 80 without factory lockers, and putting in the Harrop/Eaton elockers. Much better end result, more flexible and much more reliable, and probably cheaper and easier too with how much more you're likely to pay getting a factory locked truck in the first place, then sinking into parts shortly afterwards getting them to actually work properly, and stay working for the next 5-10 years.

I’ve had Eaton e-lockers in my 94 for about a year. Flawless function so far and it’s REALLY nice having instant lockers.

Last edited:

Where in Alaska? With a '94, I believe that the center diff lock only engages when in low range unless it's been modified, so perhaps the beast is stuck in low range.
Share a photo or two if you can, and good luck.

I have Harrops in two 80's, front and rear. I love them.

I have an 80 with arbs they work great. I had to fix a major leak with in the rear when I first purchased it but since then they’ve been great. My girlfriend has an lx450 and her oem lockers also work great.

I also acquired an oem locked 80, those don’t work great. And I’m pulling my hair out trying to get them and the center diff lock to work.

I’ve come to realize that seeking out a factory locked 80 is not worth it. And the increase in serviceability, strength, and ease of use is well worth the cost of aftermarket lockers

Where in Alaska? With a '94, I believe that the center diff lock only engages when in low range unless it's been modified, so perhaps the beast is stuck in low range.
Share a photo or two if you can, and good luck.

Correct, but a person could have a seized VC in high range and 'think' they had a center diff lock issue (not knowing any better).

In either case....should be a fairly easy fix.

I have an 80 with arbs they work great. I had to fix a major leak with in the rear when I first purchased it but since then they’ve been great. My girlfriend has an lx450 and her oem lockers also work great.

I also acquired an oem locked 80, those don’t work great. And I’m pulling my hair out trying to get them and the center diff lock to work.

I’ve come to realize that seeking out a factory locked 80 is not worth it. And the increase in serviceability, strength, and ease of use is well worth the cost of aftermarket lockers
I agree. New after market are the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom