AFter GSMTR thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.riceontherocks.org
I got back from GSMTR today. The new campgrounds is top notch. Best bathroom I have ever seen in a campgrounds. And I have seen alot! I will miss camping on the River, but I prefer the new camp. Bringing the people together is what a TLCA event is about. This new Venue is ideal to do this. It may be a culture shock to some of the people who have been comming to the event for years. I feal it is a step in the right direction by the STLCA.

Highlights of the campgrounds!
2 nice bathroom houses each with private rooms that had a toilet, chair and shower in them
Washing Machiens
Shop available for rent with welder and cutting tourch
Pavilion for the raffle, and any other activitys
Rock garden so you don't even need to go to the trails if you don't feal like it.
Level camp sites wit water and electric

I think I even saw Gas on site!

Crawfords would be great if it was just closer to the trails. 45 minutes a day to and from the trails is a bit much.

Yes the drive is really long especially if you are broke. It is even longer if you aren't broke and towing someone back. Have experience in both, as of this year. Finding parts to fix being broke was especially easy though because of being centralized. To cap that all off having a warm shower after being dusty, muddy or greasy made the drive to the trail all worth it.

My opinion

Yes, Crawford's was very nice. The only time that I was there was to check in and it's everything that is described.

That being said, if I never see it again, that's fine with me. It's just too far from the trail on a crappy, washboard road. I've heard the argument that it's no farther than McNabb, but most people don't stay at McNabb, they stay closer to the trailhead.

One solution would be to have a satellite check-in on the Tenn. side. Maybe ask on the application where you want to check in and the T-shirts, etc. could be there. Designate a time each day, say 9-12AM, if you can't make that, you have to go to Crawford's. That would keep the people coming from the north from having to go to Crawford's at least 1 time. Heck, I might even go for the party if it was the only time I had to do it.

I'm not going to bash anyone here, the STLCA made the move for what they consider to be good reasons. Heck, if I had to stay somewhere for the whole week to work, I'd rather be at Crawford's! It's just our groups preference to spend the week roughing it on trail 5, trail-riding when we want to. Being next to the river is great and we can just hop in our rigs, cross the river and be on a ride. The campsites on the Tenn. side are a good place, as well. There's nowhere to camp between Crawford's and Trail 4, you can't say that for McNabb and Trail 6.

GSMTR is the only event that I've ever attended, 4 times in all, but I can't imagine signing up for trail rides and having to wear a watch or set an alarm clock to make sure I'm on time for something. Hopefully, that's not the next move.

As I said a couple of paragraphs ago, I'm not bashing anyone, just stating my opinion. Thanks to the volunteers of the STLCA for putting on a great event. We're planning on being there next year, officially or unofficially.

I liked the drive in, it was long but I like to sight see, as for washboards I was in a slee'd 80. crawford's was very nice and clean. My only complant was the thursday night light show, and leaky tent.

87 fj60
99 taco trd
tlca #14863

Last edited:
I'm torn about the camps as well. I have always stayed at McNabb (9 yrs) as I did this year and it was great as always. After all, we are supposed to be roughing it. I'm afraid that there will start to be alot of people that will be up there for that week and just not register. That will hurt the event and the STLCA needs to address that. I like the idea of someplace to check in on the Tenn. side. I think it will keep the numbers up. I was told that the ride from Crawfords to trail 6 or 5 was 15 minutes.??? I would sure like to see that done. Maybe you can do it in a Road Ralley car or something but not in a 40. Great event though!

Later,

There is defintly 2 ways to see this. Crawfords is a nice camp with everything you could ever need but it is not camping in the woods by a long shot. For our group GSMTR has always been about being in the woods around a campfire with no phones and no civilization.

I cant see any reason there cannot be some sort of compromise. Maybe 2 camps with registrations and each camp shares one night of festivities? One camp in the woods and another at Crawfords.

No amount of suggesstion or pressure will get the "woods" people to change their minds on where they wish to camp and, unless some sort of compromise is reached I am afraid the event will just break into mutiple factions.

Many people I spoke to asked why they paid for the registration. That is a good point. All the people with our group paid as that was a requirement of camping in our area. Others really wondered what they got by paying.

I would guess that around 40% of the people on the "woods" side of GSMTR did not register; including a bunch of TLCA club members. Next year I see this number going up especially when the leadership of some of the more local clubs boasted about not paying!

No matter what happens or where I camp I will continue to register, donate and support the event beacuse I enjoy it so much and I know how hard Roger, Corky, and the STLCA work to make it happen.

dd113 said:
There is defintly 2 ways to see this. Crawfords is a nice camp with everything you could ever need but it is not camping in the woods by a long shot. For our group GSMTR has always been about being in the woods around a campfire with no phones and no civilization.

I cant see any reason there cannot be some sort of compromise. Maybe 2 camps with registrations and each camp shares one night of festivities? One camp in the woods and another at Crawfords.

No amount of suggesstion or pressure will get the "woods" people to change their minds on where they wish to camp and, unless some sort of compromise is reached I am afraid the event will just break into mutiple factions.

Many people I spoke to asked why they paid for the registration. That is a good point. All the people with our group paid as that was a requirement of camping in our area. Others really wondered what they got by paying.

I would guess that around 40% of the people on the "woods" side of GSMTR did not register; including a bunch of TLCA club members. Next year I see this number going up especially when the leadership of some of the more local clubs boasted about not paying!

No matter what happens or where I camp I will continue to register, donate and support the event beacuse I enjoy it so much and I know how hard Roger, Corky, and the STLCA work to make it happen.

I didn't go, but a local group of guys did....and I can pretty much guarantee you that they'd echo this statement.

I'd hate to see something become too....uh...organized... ...these guys have been heading to GSMTR for years.....

Organized may not be the best word.....I know the work that goes into it......

And I reckon I ain't got a pot to piss in if'n I didn't go either.... :cheers:

As Pres of ROTR I was a little upset about or chapters poor turnout for the event. There was a few of ROTR members there during the week before the event. However they all left but Frydaddy on Wed. I showed up late on Friday night and was thinking about leaving the next day. But once I got to the main camp and saw all the familiar faces I knew I had to stay. So I registered and had an enjoyable time. Even for basicly one day of the event I feal I got my moneys worth.

I did get to hear 3 songs by the band on Friday night
Got a Tshirt and sticker
Meal
Raffle Tickets, And I won something!
Camping Showers and other things. Yes We did camp in main camp, and had a camp at the trailhead to keep our junk.

People not registering has been a problem in past years and just keep getting worse. Before the event moved it's venue away from McNabb there was not that much you got for your $$. That is why the drivers only raffle for the grand prizes started. The Forest service has a cap on how many people can fit in McNabb. And in years past they would stop in and hassle people for parking and where they placed there spare parts. I remember on some of the larger years before the economy crashed there was the 200 registered there and more since they couldn't reg would come anyway since it was public land.

I have no problem with people camping where they want. I like roughing it too. However I disagree with the 2 diferent areas for check in, and events. What will come next is all your check in is in the mail.

I agree with David. If I'm there I will register. STLCA has done alot of good for the 4 wheeling comunity ad the TLCA. By supporting the even you are supporting yourself.

TLCA_Paul said:
As Pres of ROTR I was a little upset about or chapters poor turnout for the event. There was a few of ROTR members there during the week before the event. However they all left but Frydaddy on Wed. I showed up late on Friday night and was thinking about leaving the next day. But once I got to the main camp and saw all the familiar faces I knew I had to stay. So I registered and had an enjoyable time. Even for basicly one day of the event I feal I got my moneys worth.

Paul...Whats it take to get involved with ROTR. I never thought you guys were still together b/c the website had never been updated. Then I saw your article in TT.
Marty

Heresy but I'd suggest moving GSMTR from Tellico to Coal Creak, which has primitive camping at the entrance to the trails, and the town of Oak Ridge, TN, ten minutes away for those that want hotels.

No criticism intended, just a suggestion (and I very much appreciate all that STLCA does to host this event).

TJK

I have been going to GSMTR for 7 years with a group from the DC, MD, NOVA area and we have always stayed in Camp 2 next to McKnabb for the entire week. The 12 to 14 hour drive is much easier to handle knowing you are spending the week. We did so this year also because we knew how far the drive is from Crawfords to the trails. We timed it and it took us one hour consistenly from the Green Cove Store to Crawfords camp driving at a sane speed on trail one. It is 8 minutes from the store to State Line.

Our group enjoys primitive camping and does not have issues with no running water for a week. We all registered this year, and I will register next year also as I am sure most of my group will. We will still camp in our old camp site or somewhere on the TN site.

Trail One from Crawfords is a long dangerous slog to the trails no one in our group was willing to make on a daily basis. Our group waited till Thursday to checkin just to miss the traffic jam on trail one Wednesday. My back was killing me for most of the next day after the ride to checkin and back. I don't know how you folks in Crawfords could deal with that ride everyday. In case you have not figured out yet. I hate trail one.

I for one would love to see a few hour one day checkin option on the TN side. Stateline or Green Cove would work. I bet the Florida crew and the other groups who camped in TN would also. Even though Crawfords has showers and plumbing those things are outweighd by the distance from the trails for many.

Let STLCA hold the event HQ where they want. I know the RV crowd must love the Crawfords camp. We will do our own thing and join you for the raffle and BBQ on Saturday and see you on the trails all week.

The only exception to a great week was the assgoblins who decided they would bulldoze a hole into McKnabb camp instead of waiting for the combination to the lock on the gate. They know who they are and have already been dealt with but damn did your actions bum out a lot of us. You guys really made us look bad with the forest service. I hope you are ashamed of your actions because you should be.

phishtaco said:
Paul...Whats it take to get involved with ROTR. I never thought you guys were still together b/c the website had never been updated. Then I saw your article in TT.
Marty
We meet on the third thursday of every month ecept May. and posibly when holiday hits. We do have a party for christmas. We also have a membership cap. I'm not sure where we sit right now, I think we have room for a few new members.

Yea I should work on www.riceontherocks.org. maybe soon. I started it, then left for my 6 months in Nevada. And the Hammers:D

You can email me tlcapaul@fuse.net anytime. I'm home now! well for most of the summer.

Good comments

Like the rest of you, I'm concerned about people not registering. We had 2 do that this year, but 1 of them knew that they had to leave early. They did pay the daily fee.

If you're not going to go to the raffle (and I don't), it's basically $100 for a T-shirt, sticker, and a drive to Crawford's. I wish I could opt out of the dinner and save a few bucks, but I give my ticket to someone else so the food isn't wasted. Same with the raffle tickets.

I'll be there next year and will be registered, no matter where the headquarters is. The STLCA works hard to put this on and I'm going to support them. Hopefully, some kind of compromise that makes everyone happy will surface.

See you on the trail next year.

John Smith said:
I for one would love to see a few hour one day checkin option on the TN side. Stateline or Green Cove would work. I bet the Florida crew and the other groups who camped in TN would also. Even though Crawfords has showers and plumbing those things are outweighd by the distance from the trails for many.

Speaking for myself and the other Florida crew members who were camped along the river, we all agree that Crawford's was too far to travel with our trucks. We also prefer the more primitive camping as compared to Crawford's. However, I believe there are many people, both on and off this list, that would definately prefer the shower/bathroom luxuries.

I think keeping Crawford's for those who do not want to rough it is a good thing. But I strongly believe those of us who want to rough it should be allowed to do so. A second check-in location as mentioned above would be most desireable.

We had a caravan of 5 trucks, all towed to/from the event on trailers. Towing trailers on trail 1 is not the most pleasant experience. On our way to the raffle/dinner, our crew helped another trailer loaded with quad-runners back onto the road after a close encounter forced half his trailer over the edge of the road. Several years ago, we rescued 2 girls who left the roadway on their ATV. Both were hosptalized. Yes, Trail 1 is not exactly a safe road to travel, particularly with the heavily-modified trucks some of us drive.

That being said, I would like to say thanks to STLCA for another great week. :cheers: We'll all be back again next year.

Last edited:
I havn't looked at a map, or got the directions. I just wondr if you could go to Crowfords without going thru Tellico. I know you could drive the road called Tail of the dragon. (or something like that. But I'm thinking more highway. Maybe 40 tward Gatlinburge and around, or something from the south for the Florida bunch.

Also if you register and still camp on the river. You could always come in for your weekly shower!

Next Ya=ear the eveent is the 15th aniversary. To celebrate it will last all week!

TLCA_Paul said:
I havn't looked at a map, or got the directions. I just wondr if you could go to Crowfords without going thru Tellico.

We came up from FLA through South Carolina into Murphy hit Crawfords from the south. If you could figure a good way to get to Murphy without going to Tellico, it's just a short ride north. Hanging Dog Road, I believe.

Capt. Jim said:
We came up from FLA through South Carolina into Murphy hit Crawfords from the south. If you could figure a good way to get to Murphy without going to Tellico, it's just a short ride north. Hanging Dog Road, I believe.

People, did you notice the mountain...? :rolleyes:

TJK

Kaderabek said:
People, did you notice the mountain...? :rolleyes:

TJK

Yea, we know about the mountains, Todd. I think what Paul is trying to avoid is the trail 1 experience.

It is about 88.3 miles from my home in South Carolina to my campsite on the river (As the crow flies). With no direct roads (thanks to those mountains) it is a 4.5 hour drive. Not complainin'. Love those mountains........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom