after 3+ years: SwayAWay torsion bars

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by drexx, Jul 27, 2005.

1. drexx

drexx

28Jul2005 (UTC +8)

After more than three years, or 60,000+ miles, I can say that I'm fairly happy with my Sway-A-Way torsion bars. With my ARB Sahara bar (just a coupla months after the torsion bars), dual battery setup, and now TRD supercharger to load the front end, they've been sagging every now and then so I had to crank up the torsion bars to maintain the lift. So just today I reset the whole thing by removing and re-installing them so that my IFS up-stroke could be better. I guess this longevity factor is an obvious advantage of torsion bars vs. coil springs.

The torsion bars had outlasted a regular set of OME shocks, so now it's running with nice OME LTR for more than a year now. It has also been mated to stiff OME coil springs for the rear --which just dropped down a bit 'coz of the Long Ranger aux fuel tank and Kaymar rear bumper and the often-used 3rd row seats-- but those coils ain't sagging yet definitely.

Would I buy them again? Maybe not, as OME & TJM torsion bars are much cheaper. But anything is better than soft and wallowy Toyota suspension!

2. calamaridog

calamaridog

They cost more than double the cost of a set of OME:eek:

3. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

What lift range did you acheive with the SAW's, near identical to the OME/TJM setup? Or was it maintainable at higher heights?

4. calamaridog

calamaridog

The SAW torsion bars are 31mm vs. 30.? for the OME. Not worth the extra $$ in my estimation.

You may be able to carry them at a decent price, that would be nice. The only people I could find who had them was MAF and they want over $600 for them.

5. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

One of my partner companies (company I do a ton of work back & forth with ;)) is a SAW dealer... I will see what they can swing. Though, I have only moved a couple of the OME set-ups, I can't see the SAW parts moving either... :D

6. calamaridog

calamaridog

Kurt,

Just curious but I've already got a set of OME in the garage. I just like to know what my options are;)

7. spressomon

spressomon glutton Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I wonder, as the t-bar OD increases, if droop/drop also decreases. Or does travel remain a constant since, theorectically, less pre-load needs to be applied to a larger OD t-bar for a given lift height. Or, since there would be less pre-load/wrap on the larger OD t-bar is overall travel reduced since there would be less spring-inches of movement?

Having said that I do understand there is a point, in lift height, where droop/drop is diminished. It would be worthwhile to plot this data...has anyone done this? Christo?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.