after 12 years.. interior of original '97 radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am pretty anal on maintenance and here is what my radiator looked like when I removed it and then removed the top tank...

When I bought the rig from the previous owner, I am pretty certain he used the standard prestone antifreeze and I betcha tap water as well....

For the last 3 years I have only used Toyota red and follow a religious flushing cycle each year...

Nice slimy grey stuff in there!!!

New '94 brass in there now and it will only see distilled water and toyota red!!!!
Picture 116.jpg
Picture 120.jpg

It can't be said enough....This goes to show that good maintenance practices go a long way into having a long lasting well tuned Cruiser.

On another note.....has anyone ever had that gray sludge analyzed at an analytical laboratory? I know there has been a lot a speculation as to what it is but it would be neat to see what its properties actually are. Perhaps this is over complicating the situation but it may go along way in the way our cooling systems are maintained.

Just my 2 cents

I wonder if adding a coolant filter would help these systems. I know large diesel engines run them, but they're quite uncommon in smaller gas engines. May help the coolant last longer, without having to flush the entire system as often.

Can that stuff be cleaned out? Or has the metal actually gone some sort of irreversible chemical reaction.

Mileage?

-Spike

The anal system description will not matter. Using 100% distilled water will keep the system clean longer, but not by much. Totally clean water will stay clean to a certain extent. But even in the presence of coolant, a certain amount of fungus will develop.
A certain amount of chlorine in the water actually helps the coolant to work. It keeps the water clean. It is the calcium in the water that plugs the system up. It is better to use tap water with chlorine in it, than to use purified water, as long as the tap water does not have too much calcium in it. Just do not allow a high chlorine content either.
The problem is that most normal tap water has too much calcium in it. The ideal is to add a bit of chlorine to some distilled water, then mix it with coolant.
But in many places, the normal tap water is OK for cooling systems. It is only in high-calcium areas that this is a problem.

Last edited:
not sure why I need to look at the heater core? Any thoughts..

Rig has 137K on it

And if your heater core is gummed up you'll freeze longer in the winter waiting for the truck to warm up ;)

I guess I am lucky to be in Texas :)

Not sure how to troubleshoot the heater core..........

The anal system description will not matter. Using 100% distilled water will keep the system clean longer, but not by much. Totally clean water will stay clean to a certain extent. But even in the presence of coolant, a certain amount of fungus will develop.
A certain amount of chlorine in the water actually helps the coolant to work. It keeps the water clean. It is the calcium in the water that plugs the system up. It is better to use tap water with chlorine in it, than to use purified water, as long as the tap water does not have too much calcium in it. Just do not allow a high chlorine content either.
The problem is that most normal tap water has too much calcium in it. The ideal is to add a bit of chlorine to some distilled water, then mix it with coolant.
But in many places, the normal tap water is OK for cooling systems. It is only in high-calcium areas that this is a problem.

do you have any solid references for all that? I sure have not seen coolant (or car) manufacturers say to use tap water...

I think that radiators at this age should be replaced almost as preventative maint. i have owned 3 cruisers and all of them needed radiators between 110k & 130k on the clock.

Where did you end up sourcing your 94 Brass radiator? New from the dealership?

Was there a noticeable difference in your running temps?

n/m...just saw your write-up dated 05/03/09

thanks for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom