Aftemarket Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone has replaced their alternator with something larger than the oem stock unit, after this past wheeling trip of winching in deep snow I wonder if there is a better option than stock, Brad.

Mean Green makes one for the 93-97. I have one on my fj60, it puts out alot of amps. But it did burn/lock up on me within the 1st month, sent it back they replaced/repaired it, said the bearings never had any grease in em :( But sense then its been fine. At least on my 60 its a PITA to get the belt on, not sure now it is on a 80. BTW the MG is a GM case.

Wrangler Northwest or the Mechanical Man might have a Nippon they rework for more amps

best price on a Mean Green is http://mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=mean_green
talk to Larry, he took great care of me when my went tits up, paid $300+ shiping, takes a few weeks as they come direct from Mean Green(just a one or two man operation)

I put a Mean Green alternator and starter on my 97. A friend of mine had a speed shop and I got it with their discount directly from Mean Green (they are about 60 miles from me). I was a little suspicious as it did not seem to make any difference. I took it off and took it to an alternator shop where I have dealt for 30 years and had them test it. The stock alternator puts out 80 amps; the Mean Green put out 78 amps. The did some kind of carbon pile load test. After they got done laughing and giving me the business, they said they did not like the juiced up small case alternators and said they only came with a one year warranty for a reason. I was told the best way to go was to get a large case alternator that was built specifically for higher amp service. I'm sure there are others out there that have been fortunate to get long service out of the high amp small ones so this was just what I was told. I am going to try to put a large case on mine but it looks like it could be a project. IIRC, I found out a while ago that Delco makes a 6 5/8 (I think) bolt center (close to the stock one) 105 amp alternator that might work pretty well. Haven't had the time to follow up on it.

Bill

I wonder if the alternator of the 93-97 fzj puts out more amps than the stock one on my 92 and if they are interchangeable, Brad.

91-2(and 88-90) use a 80amp and in some case a 90amp(I have yet to see a 90amp) and they will not swap(even the 80 and 90 for the 3fe) I think 93+ will also not swap with 91-2, 93+ is 80 or 90amp I forget which.

John

[quote author=Bradass80 link=board=2;threadid=12615;start=msg116142#msg116142 date=1078548087]
I wonder if the alternator of the 93-97 fzj puts out more amps than the stock one on my 92 and if they are interchangeable, Brad.
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom