African Hunting - Not my Style

mabrodis

I've never understood the fascination with finding awesome new creatues...then killing them...WTF, why must you kill it for it to be cool? What have you gained by killing an animal? Never understood that. I would be happy just going to Africa and taking some good pictures of Lions and such...

lowenbrau

SILVER Star

Not to be aguementative but I'm wondering what you saw in that video that made you feel this hunter is unethical. I saw a foolhardy hunter, one that's very likely to end up dead soon but I thought all the kills looked quick which I think is a key part of ethical hunting. I don't know how he got to be that close to the game but I know very little of African hunting.

Second link was broken or I'd likely have my answer.

"More than anything. it demonstrates my manner and method of hunting dangerous game. Rather than shooting the great and noble beast into oblivion from a safe distance, my clients and I choose instead to walk up and give the animal a choice of how he is to die in battle."

Interesting philosophy. It'll catch up with him someday.

crushers

post ho

so he clains he allows the animals to die "in battle", i call BS on this one. a high powered rifle against a set of tusks or a big mouth is still no fair battle.
give him a knife and then let's see who wins the "battle".
just how i see it.
cheers
Wayne

Pretty punk rock if you ask me. At least he's not up on a limb 30ft, with some type of bait at the base of the tree. Not my style though. I don't agree 100% with hunting game for the "trophy" of it.

You could say I'm more into the I hunt for food aspect. Any cookies on the counter and man alive I'll stalk them suckers untill I get one. Especially if they're out of season (i.e. for someone else).

Being that I live in the bay area and to go hunting would require around 1000.00 (fuel, tags, food, etc) it's not worth it to me to hunt for the purpose of food. Instead I goto Cosco, the next best thing.

Now if I loved in the woods, it would be a whole different story.

phatairman

SILVER Star

Second link is fixed.

That hunter is unethical by purposely wounding (not a mortal shot) and then pushing the animal until it charges him. That is his MO. He is not going for a clean kill his first shot. And I know those animals are huge and most of the time the 1st shot doesn't put them down.

Look at some on the buffalo video parts, they are bleeding out their noses before he has them charge him.

Jan-78FJ40

crushers said:
so he clains he allows the animals to die "in battle", i call BS on this one. a high powered rifle against a set of tusks or a big mouth is still no fair battle.
give him a knife and then let's see who wins the "battle".
just how i see it.
cheers
Wayne
I was just about to say the same thing. No battle there. Not even if his cannon fails, then it suddenly is as uneven as before, just for the other side :)

Exiled

I noticed the bleeding too, and was wondering about it, most hunters can't even get this close to the animals unless they're wounded. That they're already wounded makes a lot more sense, one of those Cape Buffalos actually gets up from a kneeling position towards the end of the video and then charges.

My grandfather hunted big game in South Africa, Rhodesia and Kenya in 1947 and he used to talk about days of tracking big game and then losing the spoor or not being able to get close enough for a solid shot.

Something's weird about this, and it's got nothing to do with big game hunting, with which I absolutely don't have a problem with (4th generation hunter).

I will say this objectively, this guy has balls, and I agree, it will one day catch up with him, like it has a habit of doing with reckless hunters.

Ive fished, hunted, trapped..... I have been to Africa three times. I found no purpose for this waste of human flesh to make such a video. "Death At My Feet".. WTF is up with that? Like he is out hunting fricken space aliens or something. Or doing something that is so highly dangerous that his own life was in danger. I think the dude is pathetic.

Now its time for me to go watch a movie with the wife and kids...:)

Landpimp

I have a client that is a "big game hunter"..........on his last trip to Africa we got a call from his wife that he had been hurt by a charging bull elephant, he busted his back and some other crap. Me I suspect he fell off the bar stoll :D

why shoot it if you ain't gonna eat it?

(and egging it on to charge you doesn't count.)

When I bought my .375 H&H Mag., the salesman asked what I was gonna shoot with it. "Nothing I hope" was what I said. I'm not stupid enough to go in the back country where dangerous animals live without a means to protect myself, but if you can avoid shooting the animal....

This is the opposite pole of stupidity from the bear activist guy from California who got eaten by a grizzly on tape cause he went to play with the bears and forbade anyone to carry a weapon in case one of the bears forgot that he was there to "help" them....

He got what he deserved (not for being an enviromental wacko, but for going near those animals without precaution) and this guy will get his when his weapon misfires and he gets mauled.

Steve

HZJ60 Guy

Tank Buster
The really great thing here is that if you dont like or respect or want to do those things dont do them! Dont be so quick to critisize those that choose to do them. Whether you like it or not those men ARE risking their lives doing this. These are dangerous game animals and they kill humans everyday of every year! Also like it or not if these animals arent kulled on a regular basis they WILL over run their territory. There isnt the expansive land to support the numbers that there once was.

I also practice the "dont shoot it if you arent going to eat it" philosophy. Whatever can be eaten is eaten by the native villigers. Those hunters usually give that stuff away.

phatairman

SILVER Star

I heard the tape of that grizzly guy and his girlfriend was pretty grizzly........no pun intended. :rolleyes:

I'm a hunter for the past 20 years and have never thought of wounding an animal to make it charge. My new passion is bowhunting for whitetail deer.

Risking your life to make great videos; doesn't mean it is man against beast.

HZJ60 Guy

Tank Buster
phatairman said:
I heard the tape of that grizzly guy and his girlfriend was pretty grizzly........no pun intended. :rolleyes:

I'm a hunter for the past 20 years and have never thought of wounding an animal to make it charge. My new passion is bowhunting for whitetail deer.

Risking your life to make great videos; doesn't mean it is man against beast.

I would argue that the video is very secondary. This is what they do video or not. Although I have gone on safari, I have friends who have. It isnt all that surprising.

That guy is to hunting what the "make your own trail" people are to 4 wheeling. He's seriously compensating for a "lack" somewhere else. A film student could write a senior thesis on the homo-erotic imagery contained in the first 30 seconds of that video alone. Did he think the obviously hastily added rip on the knee of his pants was going to make everybody forget that he undoubtedly left his Range Rover just long enough to take the shot? Hopefully he'll have the misfire he's begging for sooner rather than later, but what do you want to bet there are several back up rifles just out of camera range? What a moron.

Top Bottom