Affordable speaker upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Perfect. very helpful to know. Thanks.

Job done. Did the silicone repair on the factory speaker. So far so good.... sounds fine, fits, no wire problems, and a credit for the return to amazon as well!

Spike, I thank you for inspiring me to dig in to this job even though I ended up doing it differently. Was badly needed and had been one of those things the bugs you every time you get in the car. No more!

Anytime. Glad to help.

well, crap. now that the sub is no longer farting at me I can hear the drivers door speaker is. perhaps I shouldn't send back the speakers after all. sigh.

I have done all the speakers in my 03 via Crutchfield. @oftpiste it is really simple if you follow some steps folks have outlined.
My link from the install is here

What have you done to your 100 Series this week?

I have embedded links to those post I used for wiring, panel removal, and bracket modifications. I also have the link to Crutchfield for the speakers in there ... I used the Crutchfield brand BTW $49 a set. No need for a wiring harness because you use the crossovers which I mounted in the doors. Easy job first panel and bracket mods took 1 hour second panel and mods took 20 mins...

thanks costal.... I'm thinking I'm just going to direct wire the new speakers to the existing wiring and not mess with new crossovers.

thanks costal.... I'm thinking I'm just going to direct wire the new speakers to the existing wiring and not mess with new crossovers.

You will be happier with the crossovers if you are keeping the stock amp. Very simple install. Cut the ends from the existing wires insert in the + & - then connect the speakers to the crossover. This crossover has three setting which helped to balance out the tweeters. They fit pretty well in those locations I pictured. Just my opinion of course and at 49$ for the pair it is hard to go wrong

costalcat: Think the sound ordinance speakers are no longer available as discovered by following you link in the 100 build forum.

Good catch @Live to Ski here is the new version..
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777P67CB/Sound-Ordnance-P-67CB.html?tp=106

Up the price 20$ it looks like, but still a good deal I have these in three cars now...

BTW I have a place at the Canyons in that I bring the family to every MLK break and then the wife and I every March. I hear you can Ski over to Park City now? We did Solitude last year and didn't make it over ...

Love Utah Snow!

Hi costalcat,

Park City: Lucky guy!

I gotta change that handle (after, say 10yrs). Haven't resided in PC since 2006....yikes. But always on my radar to return to.

From what I understand, you take a cross country lift from Canyons to PC. Correct me if I am wrong.

As an aside, the story behind the canyons/PC hook up is one of cloak and dagger corporate maneuvering. A "middle of the night" financial play, etc. very entertaining. PM me if you can't find it on the inter-web and I can give you the "unofficial" rumor mill version.

Another aside: for various ski addiction related reasons (ski boots, oh I forgot your a cruiser junkie....you know how those addictions play), I may need to temporarily head that way for a month. Was thinking Air bnb. Throwing it out there.

As they say in the ski addictions world: "when in doubt....straighten 'em out" and that is my sign-off.

FWIW< fellow skier here. In Utah at least a few days every season but more of a Little Cottonwood Canyon kinda guy....

Little Cottonwood: I get it. 300in versus 600in.

Other than 1) housing, 2) social factors, the choice is obvious.

Spent 1 winter in PC (snowed 10ft over 10 day period in Jan....took the city 2 months to truck the snow out), then moved over to LC (Alta) the next. PC areas just didn't have enough accessible steeps (but way too much $) to handle big snow. Did I say I was ready for the mental ward after that little LC experiment (like being in a social life raft w/o a life jacket):bang:

On the flip side: Alta would be tracked out in 45m to 1 hr (I skied every day that season, only saw 5 or so falls), while PC areas (specifically DV) you could find untracked 2 days after (on any big snow powder run, I might see 10 to 15 people in various states of disarray.....at 1 time on 1 trail!).

The ticket: Solitude....gets the snow.....doesn't have the skier volume.....most are 1 week vacationer types that don't go looking....

I purchased both the component for the front and 3 way for the back from Amazon. Paid $97 with 2 day delivery with prime and have just installed the speakers in the rear doors. Had to solder the speaker wire to the OE speaker plug I left in when gutting the old mount, but other then that, it was an easy install. I have a 99, so the speaker mounts may be different, but it looks like I'm going to have to do some trimming to get the stock speaker grills to fit flush like they use to?

I don't know about your '99, but on my '04 the speakers I used fit perfect, including the OEM speaker grills. It all looks factory, but sounds better.

I don't know about your '99, but on my '04 the speakers I used fit perfect, including the OEM speaker grills. It all looks factory, but sounds better.

I figured it out. It was operator error..Lol Speakers fit fine but a screw head was in the wrong place. While I had the grills off, I soaked them with Folex and wiped them clean with a microfiber. They turned out excellent!! The speakers have better clarity and I'm still trying to get the sound dialed in. My Cruiser already had an aftermarket Pioneer touch screen with reverse camera etc., but I'm now wondering if I need a small amp and or powered sub under the passenger seat? How long did the speakers take to break in?
(I did fix the new foam on the speaker ring)
Speaker Upgrade 1.JPG
Speaker Upgrade 2.JPG
Speaker Upgrade 3.JPG
Speaker Upgrade 4.JPG

Simple and affordable. Sounds great. Nice clear crisp sound. If you need/want louder then you may need a external amp.
I think mine is loud enough, but each to their own.

I ordered Fosgate R165X3 from Amazon, and they matched exactly the pictures on crutchfield. But they don't fit my '05 LC. The mounting screws are totally misaligned - only 1 would screw in. Also, I noticed that while crutchfield listed R165X3 as 6-3/4", Amazon said 6.5".

I ordered Fosgate R165X3 from Amazon, and they matched exactly the pictures on crutchfield. But they don't fit my '05 LC. The mounting screws are totally misaligned - only 1 would screw in. Also, I noticed that while crutchfield listed R165X3 as 6-3/4", Amazon said 6.5".

The Rockford Fosgate R1675X2 turned out a perfect fit for my '05 LC:
mmexport1479007811299.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom