aFe V8 Throttle Body Spacer - Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my 4WD Toyota Owner mag and they did a quicky review of a Throttle Body Spacer for the V8 by Advanced Flow Engineering. MSRP is $116.

I would hope that our magazine wouldn't write a review of a product that does not work.

Anyone have experience with one of these? Do they work? What does it do?

They claim 10hp / 12 ft-lbs increase and special design that eliminates whistle at idle, blah, blah...

I looked last week when I got the magazine too. I couldn't find it. There are a ton of different ones available on Ebay though for a variety of prices ($50-120). I'd like to hear from an independent source on whether it works and provide some real data to back it up.

A good friend and mechanic told me not to waste my money on one... Someone had one for sale in classifieds (for a 100) sometime back just can't recall who...

If the gain is not larger than 25hp on a truck that wieghs this much... Probably not noticable. Atleast not a "wow" gain. I'd leave something of that importance stock, mod other things that will get you up, over, and not dragging your underside ( lift, tires)

My engine is stock. I sawed my resonator off. I had multiple exhaust leaks, so I thought sawin it off made a difference. I replaced all the bolts and nuts with stainless steel and lock washers. I was wrong. It's quiet as an empty mountain side. . Besides the v8 sound. I love the peace, my other ride has a drone and sounds like a F1 car. Annoying at 80 on the interstate.

For the TB, I'd save my money. 12lb of torque sounds nice. But isn't 320 enough for a DD? I guess not :)

Edit: wow, just read my post. That 2nd paragraph was so random. Ignore it...

320 ft-lb of torque WOULD be enough but remember that Toyota was using very optimistic numbers and were forced to adjust in 2007. The newer (2006 and up) 332 ft-lb V8 was derated to 310 ft-lb which means our engine is now rated around 298 ft-lb (I think)

I just want a little extra power. Would several modification add up the HP and Torque? In other words would a throttle body spacer (12hp), a K&N CAI (10hp), Borla exhaust (10hp) and Unichip (14hp) add up to 46 extra HP?

So your saying toyota put 320 on the spec sheet, but it's really 298? They lied!?!?!?

Another 46 hp would be felt! And sound really nice.

Since our engines aren't exactly 320 tq .... What's our hp?

So your saying toyota put 320 on the spec sheet, but it's really 298? They lied!?!?!?

Another 46 hp would be felt! And sound really nice.

Since our engines aren't exactly 320 tq .... What's our hp?

Not sure about the HP on ours but the 2006 engine was derated from 275 to 265. That is a 10HP difference so maybe ours is really 220HP.

Toyota did not really lie - they just chose to measure engine output in a way that yields higher numbers. Not sure about the technical details. The US automakers already measured using the more conservative method so they had no changes when the new measurement guidelines came into effect in 2007.

good explanation. Well, besides all the numbers, for it's size, weight, and being a toyta( usually people think camry, v6, mpg, and such) it's very quick. All my friends thoughts about the landcruiser and toyota change drastically. The 100 and 200 series are "silent professionals".

Another 46hp would be awesome. Question is where is the hp gain located: flywheel, or actually put down through rubber. That's what you need to consder. It's great to say you have a 280hp LC. But if it won't go likeits got 280...what's the point?

For the price of a super charger or even Christo's turbo, it is still the cheapest way to add power to the 4.7 motor.

You can "make" Tundra headers fit (you will need a very big hammer, a steering shaft from an FJ55, new exhaust). I know of a person that did this, an entire day of shop time, not including the exhaust work. For what 20hp? (there's a shop in the Napa CA area that might do the same work for you ;) )

You can chip it, or put a throttle body spacer, open air filter, exhaust, headers ... but you either have to try it "IF" it works, or you are the first person to try i.e. prototype etc ... you can get a 5 hp here or 10 hp there but you really don't know unless you spend even more money on a dyno before and after.

All these little things will add up and it will be close to the amount (when it was available) of a supercharger. Maybe someone can source all the parts and put some kit together, it doesn't have to be TRD. I know that Christo's turbo kit has to be installed at his shop BUT that is a minimum of 100 wheel horse power! I think the TRD was close to that too.

We can try to carry less stuff in our truck but when you are out in the middle of now where we all would rather have the parts than not, I mean how much can a spare drive shaft weight anyway :grinpimp: then the front, CV's, rear axle .... etc.

I have weighed my truck before a week long trip. Rooftop tent, 30 gallons of water, full tank of fuel, plus 2nd fuel tank (160l), food and more crap and more crap and it was 7180 pounds and I wasn't even in the truck :doh:

Of course all the above is easy for me to comment on because I have a TRD s/c. It doesn't help off-road but it sure makes a difference getting there or when you are at altitude or when the truck weighs 7,000 pounds.

Of course all the above is easy for me to comment on because I have a TRD s/c. It doesn't help off-road but it sure makes a difference getting there or when you are at altitude or when the truck weighs 7,000 pounds.

Where / when did you get the TRD Super Charger? Did you get the model specific to the LC or did you adapt another one (Tundra, 4Runner)?

you have to be careful with the "bolt on, go fast" approach.

the bulletcars.com that i keep on going on about, they advertise 7PSI with their Harrop supercharger. Yes they offer water injection and the exhaust system which i am actually going to buy the stainless system......and you get numbers increasing based on what you buy and fit.

but remember if you want a performance engine, then you need to replace the pistons and rods and i've got bookmarks for places over in the USA that do billet cranks for the 4.7 yota and well yes bulletcars.com over here in Oz can do performance stuff.

you need to ask yourself...what is it that you want?

Supposedly adding the supercharger, exhaust and piggyback ECU will set ME back about $15 - 16k. fitted. (thats' Oz$$) but that's no internals and supposedly the standard 4.7L V8 can handle 7PSI supercharger boost with the Harrop offering from Bulletcars.com.

i will be spending the $3k for their exhaust and hi flow cats mentioned here but i read in a recent article that the Pacemaker headers are ok too. In fact my first quote was for that and hi flow cats, but i'd have to reset the factory sensors somewhere if i went with them. Also, they arent ceramic coated and Bullet Cars kept telling me about temps under the bonnet/hood....with the 4.7V8 so....temp is an issue. Given they have an ADR compliant car (Australian Design Rules) using the 4.7L V8....and offer variations of the 4.7L from mild to wild with different ECUs to match.....my exhaust system is gonna be the one from Bullet Cars.

Sorry for the rant, but you need to research everything. The Horse Power Factory (HP/F) where i got my cruiser dynoed (for a second opinion) said that the snorkel was the reason why mine only got 84.3 kW.

Look for that in another post, otherwise PM me.
take care
peter

Last edited:
The supercharger is a TRD specific for the 100 Series. I bought it 5 years ago. I installed it when I had 48,000 miles and I now have 165,000 on the truck.

Turbo Charger for 1,099.00 or best offer

Has anyone tried a t3t4 turbo charger?

It's about $6300 cheaper then Slees turbo kit.

It fits the 100 series land cruiser.... what do you think?
100 series Turbo kit.jpg

japan?

If it can handle up to 450hp I really see no problem because I can't imagine the 4.7L V8 producing more then 350hp. It does look like a great kit for $1100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom