Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I’m new to this site and new to land cruisers. I’m looking at 3 different cruisers for sale. Two are 1993’s but seem to be in a little rougher shape but a 1991 that seems to be pretty clean. I know the 93 has the slightly bigger engine but what else is different and is the increase in power that big of a deal? The price is are about the same and same mileage on all three. What is everyone’s recommendations? Thank you in advance

Hello I’m new to this site and new to land cruisers. I’m looking at 3 different cruisers for sale. Two are 1993’s but seem to be in a little rougher shape but a 1991 that seems to be pretty clean. I know the 93 has the slightly bigger engine but what else is different and is the increase in power that big of a deal? The price is are about the same and same mileage on all three. What is everyone’s recommendations? Thank you in advance

Buy the newest, most well documented, lowest mileage 80 series you can buy.

I know the 93 has the slightly bigger engine but what else is different and is the increase in power that big of a deal?

The 3FE motor is 155 HP and the 1FZ-FE motor is 212 HP. That is 36% more horsepower which is not "slightly bigger". On a 5,000 lbs vehicle that is a very significant impact. I suggest that you test drive both before you purchase.

What the others have said is good advice.

Having owned a 91 previously and now a 97 I can offer a little perspective I suppose.

The 3FE is a slow reliable tractor motor that unfortunately has a larger list of parts that are no longer available from Toyota.

The 1FZ is much more modern and you can feel the extra horsepower. Neither will win any races though. The 1fz has better aftermarket and oem support.

The later years (93+) have full float rear axles and rear disk brakes. The 91-92s have semi-float axles and drums in the back.

I believe there are a few threads out there that outline all of the differences between years.

I suggest that you test drive both before you purchase.
I agree, and since he lives in CO. I'd have him test drive it up a few 7% mountain grades, i think he'll see the difference between 155HP and 212HP quick.

Buy the newest, most well documented, lowest mileage 80 series you can buy.
Thank you
The 3FE motor is 155 HP and the 1FZ-FE motor is 212 HP. That is 36% more horsepower which is not "slightly bigger". On a 5,000 lbs vehicle that is a very significant impact. I suggest that you test drive both before you purchase.
very helpful thank you. Is there suspension difference? I read 93 has 4 wheel coil springs, is that true? I’m getting contradicting info from what I’m finding online
What the others have said is good advice.

Having owned a 91 previously and now a 97 I can offer a little perspective I suppose.

The 3FE is a slow reliable tractor motor that unfortunately has a larger list of parts that are no longer available from Toyota.

The 1FZ is much more modern and you can feel the extra horsepower. Neither will win any races though. The 1fz has better aftermarket and oem support.

The later years (93+) have full float rear axles and rear disk brakes. The 91-92s have semi-float axles and drums in the back.

I believe there are a few threads out there that outline all of the differences between years.

Thank you

very helpful thank you. Is there suspension difference? I read 93 has 4 wheel coil springs, is that true? I’m getting contradicting info from what I’m finding online
Thanks for everyone’s input. I appreciate the advice. I’m sure I will spending a lot of time reading on this site.

All 80 series have coils all the way around. Slightly different heights between the years but nothing obvious. They're all worn out by now anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom