Advice with starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went offroading yeasterday. We stopped for lunch and my truck would not start. I got a jump and drove home, but she would not start again without a jump. I assumed the battery so I put an Optima in that I had lying in the garage. She started up, but with a rough idle. I assumed after reading posts that the ECU has to reprogram after battery disconect, so I waited about 15 minutes, then it smoothed out. Turned it off and tried to restart, but nothing. I noticed that on the way home from the trail, the radio would shut down if turned on the AC. After the new battery, that does not happen, but she will not start. I pulled the ECU fuse, and she started, but with the starter clicking at first. My ? is will the ECU not allow the truck to start if my starter is going bad? Yes I read about cleaning the contacts (that will be my next step, but any other ideas?), but I don't want have to do things (or pour money into it) if they are not needed. It is the '97 in my sig.

TIA

Rudy

When you say it didn't start, if you mean it didn't even turn over, then your contacts are probably bad, and the rough idle when it started may be from the starter sticking on. If that's the case, you are kinda lucky the 80 did not burn to the ground. You definitely want to fix it, there is a procedure in the FAQ. If that is not the case, describe what happened a little more. There is a relearn from the ECU that occurs, but I don't remember it running rough for that long.

Check your alternator. Something turning off when you turn something else on is a red flag for the alternator.

Good: Start engine, disconnect battery.
Better: Take to a shop and have them test battery & alternator

Looks like the starter is the culprit. The contacts are going. And it did not help the "new" battery was only putting out 11.5 volts. Guess that is going back to Optima. The rough idle was not the full fifteen minutes, I just left it running a bit longer to make sure was going to stay running smoother. Thanks for the advice.

Rebuilding the starter is a pretty easy job. I just did mine a month or so ago. CDan has the parts kits for 20-some bucks. You do have to provide a starter model # for him to select the correct parts kit...

jt

Rebuilding the starter is a pretty easy job. I just did mine a month or so ago. CDan has the parts kits for 20-some bucks. You do have to provide a starter model # for him to select the correct parts kit...

jt

Thanks for the info. I talked to Dan today, he told me some about what I need to rebuild it, but I also have a friend that is a mechanic, mostly GM stuff, so there is my problem with parts he says I need to trust him. I think I would rather stay with the Toy folks and take there word for it. I guess I will call Dan back again tommorow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom