Advice re Potential Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Shopping for 80s. Have a line on what I think is a solid buy. But wanted to get advice from some more experienced folks before making a decision. I've got pics under the hood and of the undercarriage.

Would you guys mind sharing some wisdom on any potential issues you can spot just from the photos?

Thanks a lot!

168896453_1787281511439999_1216670707433344165_n.jpg

171790738_792132925014136_6820653259370335716_n.jpg

170264699_208427483998821_1801480197857558526_n.jpg

170496913_286786956374679_6859311255304456662_n.jpg

Radiator looks like it’s about to explode. Some janky looking things going on under the hood; I.e. I see at least three plastic bags wrapping what may be electrical connectors? Plastic bags+moisture+electricity = bad. Undercarriage looks good from what I can see. Kind of difficult to tell from the pics though. It gives me pause looking at the engine bay.

what are the specs? Cost, miles, maintenance history, etc?

It needs the standard PM list:
Radiator
Heater control valve
Cooling system hoses
Oil pump seal
Valve cover gasket
Spark plug tube seals
Distributor o-rings
Front main seal
Front axle rebuild.

You balls are dry and your cooling system is about to explode.

Figure $5000 in parts plus your labor or about $10,000 in labor if you're paying someone else to do it.

Thats an amazing "Jiffy Lube" repair estimate from a couple of pics and no truck info. Id like to see whats know about the truck. You could make the blank statement about any truck on the market with 10k in parts and labor but don't think its an "need to do now" list. I will basically work my way through most of those items with ownership but most of its is a "whats next on my maintenance list."

Radiator is brown and needs attention. I cant see well enough to say it needs heater valve. I have never replaced front main seal on any cruiser I've owned.

Front axle rebuild is a "right of passage " on most cruisers.

Again, give us more info on price and mileage.

Yes cruisers are a money consuming habit but this may be a very good starting point. Or not.

radiator and heater valve are all I can really confirm from those pictures. @BILT4ME is trying to scare you off, even if all that stuff is wrong (which it may or may not be), you're looking at $500-700 in parts and some DIY labor.

As for the plastic bags or any other surprises along the way, inheriting the previous owner's poor decisions is part of the 80 ownership experience :hillbilly:

Welcome to MUD !!

Looks like a good truck to start your build.
The undercarriage looks good. No rust.
Under the hood seems somewhat neglected, but in pretty good shape besides the radiator. Assuming the price is right, I’d say it’s a good buy. Baselining with lots of preventative maintenance is necessary with most of these trucks. Does the previous owner have maintenance records? I’d want to know if the head gasket has been replaced.

Just buy it already if the price works for you. These things are between 20-30 years old. They all need stuff. And as soon as you decide, if you decide it's too much work for you, someone is waiting to buy it from you anyways.

I agree with @Grandlooser that anything that we can all see from a internet post is standard issue and comes with buying an 80. If it’s a good deal in this climate i.e. FJ/ FXJ immense popularity right now, you’re going to have to build in some time and money to get it base lined and road worthy.

Have you test driven it? Any clicking coming from the front end? Does it stop well? How does the engine sound when it’s running? Does it fire right up when you turn the key?

There is a good thread on the Slee website for points to consider when buying a used 80. I highly recommend reading that.

Nothing there really scares me away. As has been said, there are definitely things that need to be replaced. Any 20+ year old car will need bits replaced. If the price is right, I'd do it. Looks like a good base for a build.

Thats an amazing "Jiffy Lube" repair estimate from a couple of pics and no truck info. Id like to see whats know about the truck. You could make the blank statement about any truck on the market with 10k in parts and labor but don't think its an "need to do now" list. I will basically work my way through most of those items with ownership but most of its is a "whats next on my maintenance list."

Radiator is brown and needs attention. I cant see well enough to say it needs heater valve. I have never replaced front main seal on any cruiser I've owned.

Front axle rebuild is a "right of passage " on most cruisers.

Again, give us more info on price and mileage.

Yes cruisers are a money consuming habit but this may be a very good starting point. Or not.
But....what's it worth?

Buy it already🙄

it’s old, things are worn, replace them, do preventative maintenance and drive it.
Don’t think it’s going to be cheap especially if you plan on paying someone to fix it for you.

As stated the rad looks bad, so will most of the cooling system. Out of control cooling system will be the death.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Seller is asking $11k. Mileage is 230k. No lockers, which is fine for my purposes.

Documentation is spotty.

The water pump was replaced in '17 after some overheating.

It has been drive 3k miles in the last 3 years.

The interior and exterior appear to be in great shape aside from split seam on the driver's seat and motor for the driver's seat not working, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

Agree with all above, but also one big question remains; why hasn't it been driven much?? Was it because it had problems, was it still overheating??

Every used vehicle is a gamble no matter what the condition! This one doesn't appear to have been misused or molested, just ignored. Oil leaks are normal on these as some people try to ignore them and keep putting in more oil.
If you decide to purchase get ready to spend a good bit on a lot of little things and bigger items if you choose. The upgrades and new parts are great fun and will pay for themselves, maybe! But is part of the fun making one nice looking and fairly reliable.
Body looks good. No apparent rust which is very important. Undercarriage is not scared from off-road use. Engine area needs cleaning to be able to see if small issue exists.

My suggestion in todays crazy market is between $8,000 and $12,000. The person selling it is no more knowledgeable concerning the value than you.

These are not high return investments and you are paying for your hobby and personal entertainment.

Just thoughts to consider.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom