Advice on wiring harness! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the wiring harness that came with my FJ40 was absolutely trashed so I ordered a 77' harness from another member on here. I just have a few questions. I will be simplifying the harness meaning if the plug is not connected in the vehicle it will be removed. For example, I will be removing any emissions related connectors, washer pump, etc..

I'm wanting to remove:
1. Rear heater plug
2. Seatbelt buzzer plug
3. Buzzer Relay
4. Glovebox plug
5. Parking brake/seatbelt indicator plug
6. Parking brake switch plug
7. Interior light plugs
8. Emissions computer plug
9. Washer pump plug
10. Brake pressure switch plugs on master cylinder
11. Both VSV plugs.

Does anyone see any issue's I will have with this? I'm basically just trimming back the wiring that leads to these plugs. I just wanted to get some input before I did it. I will be re looming the harness with braided loom, cloth tape, and replacing all of the plugs with waterproof deutsch connectors.

Here's a link to my spreadsheet:

BIG THANKS TO WOYTOVICH FOR MAKING THIS STICHED PICTURE:

I'm essentially looking for a bare bones resto-mod harness. If I'm doing anything wrong please stop me! This is my first harness rebuild. IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER THE QUESTIONS IN MY SPREADSHEET I WOULD APPRECIATE IT!

If you're going for Resto-Mod I think you'll be hurting resale value with this approach. While you may not want the parking brake light to come on when it's engaged, or the brake pressure switches on the bottom of the master cylinder that could give you a heads up that you're about to lose your brakes entirely, the next owner might want that (and the opportunity to add back a washer pump, rear heater, etc.). Could you be talked into just zip tying the unused connectors to the harness and calling it a day? My 2 cents. :meh:

Whatever you do, don't trash the plugs. Check with a restorer like @Coolerman or advertise in the classifieds to see if someone needs them. Some of those are going the way of the dinosaur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom