Advice on Steering Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
I have to fix the steering! I got a quote from BTB for the following...

full

I do need a new column, so other than that does this seem fair/accurate? This may cost me my EFI, but a running cruiser I can barely keep in a straight line doesn't do me much good. I am open to suggestions on alternatives (mini truck?) or different suppliers or used parts from folks here on the forum. The only thing I do not want to do is keep it manual steering. I did that on my BJ40 and the thing was still a pain to control and the backlash almost cost me a thumb!

Mini truck would be a cheaper option, depending on what you need it to do

I've read where some people have converted to an electric assist power steering for less than $1000 total. Depending on your planned usage, that might be another option.
Search the FAQ's, lots of options for power steering

I've read where some people have converted to an electric assist power steering for less than $1000 total. Depending on your planned usage, that might be another option.
Search the FAQ's, lots of options for power steering

Hm. I'll check it out, thanks! I believe I still need to replace many of the components in the steering system though. I think most of this is original equipment and I can rattle a lot of the components by hand. Everything seems loose and warn out.

IMO way, way to expensive. Someone trying to stick it to you. IMO

Thank you. That was my instinct as well, which was why I decided to ask the community. After talking to JT Outfitters about a mini truck and Cruiser Solutions about their Saginaw kit, I have decided to go with Cruiser Solutions for about $1600 with an ididit column.

Oooh, way too much. You need to look at sourcing hoses locally. Check out 4x4Labs for your frame mounts and talk to Georg at Valley Hybrids ( @orangefj45 ) or Mark at Marks off-road about the p/s pump mounting accessories. Check out Borgeson steering components on line for your U-joints and shaft.

Get creative, this is an expensive hobby;).

Oooh, way too much. You need to look at sourcing hoses locally. Check out 4x4Labs for your frame mounts and talk to Georg at Valley Hybrids ( @orangefj45 ) or Mark at Marks off-road about the p/s pump mounting accessories. Check out Borgeson steering components on line for your U-joints and shaft.

Get creative, this is an expensive hobby;).

You think $1600 is still too much? I'll check out the folks you mentioned. Thank you!

Check out Georg, Mark and Luke (sounds like a Bible reference). If you're looking for a bolt - in/weld - in setup with almost no fab work, that's the price range I would be looking to as a maximum. Even with basic fab skills, the p/s pump mount and accessories are items I would by as a bolt-on. Engineering your own is a PITA. Years ago you had to do that, I'd prefer not to again.

A frame mount for the box is easy enough to fab if you look around at other FJ40S that are done well. But getting the correct pitman arm requires research so it's nice to get everything at one place.

If the hoses come with the pump kit great. If not, sourcing them isn't hard with some 'mud help.

I’ll be off loading my mini truck power steering once I convert to a 60-steering gear.

Just something to consider...

Hey Lee. I was thinking about that. What's your time frame looking like for your conversion and have you put any thought into how much you'd want for your existing system?

I did the conversion with an Ididit tilt column (would get the column with the ignition in the column if I was to do it again), FJ60 steering box, Saginaw pump, Borgeson components, JTO hoses and Rare Parts for the tie rod. My 40 wandered while driving, actually I was doing more aiming than steering and the conversion was just what the Dr ordered and made it steer like a new vehicle. IMHO, it was worth every penny I put into it and made the 40 safer to drive.

Remember, the electric steering uses the old steering gear box. If it is worn you will still have the same problems but easier to steer.

If you go with a mini truck box or electric PS you might as well start with replacing all your TREs, your rag joint, and maybe rebuild your center arm. That will tighten up your steering significantly. Cruiser Outfitters has good Japanese after market parts.

I did the mini truck power steering on my 40 and works perfectly with my 33’s. Your quote must be to have someone else doing all the work. I did mine for about $500.
Sorry I forgot to add DO NOT USE a rag joint! Had one disintegrate at TDS climbing a hill. Went with Flaming River steering joint (bearings) and no play from that rubber rag joint.

Now that Downey Off Road Mfg. is out of business I no longer own the machine shop to build complete power steering conversion kit, but I do still make up the stuff I can without owning a machine shop. I still sell the Saginaw conversion steering drive shafts with universal joints (see ebay #261702058064) and the custom hose kits (see ebay #261702058064) for 1980-older SAE gear boxes or 1981-newer metric gear boxes. I also still have the Saginaw Conversion installation manuals, freebie with your snail mail address. Mud members do not have to buy through my ebay store, plus you get the additional 10% that I would have had to give to ebay- - -easy deal. With that said, you can get everything else you need right here from other Mud members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom