Advice on spray-on lining for '84 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I’d like some advice on lining the interior of my ’84 FJ60. I want something to insulate and sound proof that I can easily wash out. I know the obvious answers are Rhino and Line-x, but I wanted to know which would be best. I also considered using Hurculiner or Duraback, but don’t think these do it yourself options are comparable to the more expensive spray-ons.

I’ve stripped the interior of the truck and readied the truck for a spray-on. I’ve had two Line-x dealers give me the following quotes for the job:

Rhode Island dealer - $1000.00
Massachusetts dealer - $1500.00

Both guys tell me it’s a full day job even with the interior stripped.

Can anyone give me some good advice on this?

Thanks,

JP

C-Gaia said:
Hi all,

I’d like some advice on lining the interior of my ’84 FJ60. I want something to insulate and sound proof that I can easily wash out. I know the obvious answers are Rhino and Line-x, but I wanted to know which would be best. I also considered using Hurculiner or Duraback, but don’t think these do it yourself options are comparable to the more expensive spray-ons.

I’ve stripped the interior of the truck and readied the truck for a spray-on. I’ve had two Line-x dealers give me the following quotes for the job:

Rhode Island dealer - $1000.00
Massachusetts dealer - $1500.00

Both guys tell me it’s a full day job even with the interior stripped.

Can anyone give me some good advice on this?

Thanks,

JP

I had the interior of my 60 line-x'd in Dallas for about $450.00 a couple of years ago. It turned out great. I really liked the way the line-x conformed to the body panels. Made it look almost stock. It does not help that much with insulation or sound proofing. A little, but not a lot. The tranny hump will still get plenty hot on long trips. I had a couple of diamond plate panels made for the rear cargo area and had them line-x'd as well. All that being said, No way in hell I would spend a grand to do it. Find someone who sprays a lot of jeeps, Not just truck beds. Tell them you are in no hurry. See if they well work on it when it is slow. This is what I did and it could help on price.

Chad

I've seen and driven Chad's old 60 (now Dave Reljac's) and the end result was awesome, to the point where that's *definitely* on my to-do list, maybe for 2006 (current project is already in cost overruns and blew out the 2005 budget). I still plan to run the carpet on top of it, though, at least in the front. Here's a couple of shots of how Dave's truck looks (I love this Silver Star s***, finally I can post a lot of pics without having to erase the old ones...thanks, Woody!)
linex 1.jpg
linex 2.jpg
linex 3.jpg

We use Herculiner and it works great. Much cheaper and just as durable as spray in BUT it MUST be correctly prepped.

Exiled said:
I've seen and driven Chad's old 60 (now Dave Reljac's) and the end result was awesome, to the point where that's *definitely* on my to-do list, maybe for 2006 (current project is already in cost overruns and blew out the 2005 budget). I still plan to run the carpet on top of it, though, at least in the front. Here's a couple of shots of how Dave's truck looks (I love this Silver Star s***, finally I can post a lot of pics without having to erase the old ones...thanks, Woody!)

Is the rig noticeably louder? Is it hotter or colder without the carpet (colder is my concern :) )? What kind of liner is it?

I rode it in for several hours and didn't think it was louder, but it was definitely hotter around the hump, even uncomfortable for the driver. I guess it could be addressed with some form of heat barrier, but I didn't pay much attention because I like my carpet. Plus, now that I'm going to run a loud diesel, I need all the noise barrier I can get.

Like Chad said, it was Line-X. Very strong, durable stuff.

Wow, thanks for the info guys. The tranny hump does get plenty hot right now without anything covering it. Sad to hear that the Line-x didn't help as much as I thought it would with sound and insulation.
We're planning on driving Ola ('84 FJ60) for a year straight as far south as we can make it and really want to make the ride as quiet and insulated as possible.

I guess I'll wait on this and see if I can find some other Line-x shop that can do it for less money or if anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

I'll talk with the New England Cruiser guys too. Met them last weekend and they seem like pretty knowledgeable good guys that are excited to help us prep Ola for the trip.

Thanks again, this forum rocks,

JP

dd113 said:
We use Herculiner and it works great. Much cheaper and just as durable as spray in BUT it MUST be correctly prepped.

What is entailed in correctly prepping the surfaces? I've always thought the herculiner looked a bit rough and unprofessional, but perhaps that has to do w/ the prep and application as well?

Arya Ebrahimi said:
What is entailed in correctly prepping the surfaces? I've always thought the herculiner looked a bit rough and unprofessional, but perhaps that has to do w/ the prep and application as well?
It can look a bit rough at first if you just glob it on. We roll mutiple thin coats and it does even out but it does not look as smooth as Line x or the like. The real issue I have with all the spray in liners is the major lack of prep. I have seen a lot of crap sprayed on! If you elect to have a shop do a line x I would prep it all myself first and just have them tape and spray.

Herculiner is great if you spend the time to prep it about 3 times better than you think you need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom