Advice on selling or parting out after discovering head gasket problem...anyone up for a project? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1997 Collector Edition with 220K-ish miles is hydrolocking in the #1 cylinder. A lovely geyser of antifreeze shot out after I removed the #1 plug and cranked the motor. Then it started right up! Hello new head gasket (at a minimum). It burns about a quart of oil every 1K miles and probably needs head work, and maybe even lower end work. I have neither the interest nor skills to attempt the repair myself. The truck is in Steamboat, CO, and no shops are interested in the potential can of worms. I would donate it in a heartbeat, but it is otherwise mechanically sound and has had a bunch of recent work (new exhaust from Y-pipe back, new radiator, new distributor, new front brakes, new tires (like less than 500 miles on them), and several other minor things). I thought I'd start by posting here to get some advice on how to proceed. Anyone interested in a project vehicle? Donate? Sell as is? Part out? I appreciate any thoughts/input. Thank you in advance.

Don't part it, sell as-is. You can make some money and someone will buy it for sure if everything else is in good shape.
Take a bunch of pics and post it in the classifieds.

People will tell you to grab a manual and do it yourself but sounds like you don't want to go that route.

Someone will probably buy it and just swap the motor.

Headed to Steamboat on Friday. Hmmm, the gears are turning 🤔

If you’re soliciting it for sale it needs to go to the classifieds section.

Thinking I'll post it for sale "as is." I'll share info on the work I've had done and post pix. I'm not real clear on undercarriage pix though. Like what are the typical areas people photograph? Maybe I'll go nuts and just link to an album. Thanks for the replies.

Thinking I'll post it for sale "as is." I'll share info on the work I've had done and post pix. I'm not real clear on undercarriage pix though. Like what are the typical areas people photograph? Maybe I'll go nuts and just link to an album. Thanks for the replies.
They want to see leaks, rust, frame, suspension, front axle, rear axle, rocker panels underneath, catalytic converters, exhaust, parking brake cables, spare tires, hitches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom