Advice on purchasing SA FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@brooklyn Let's assume I know very little about smog checks in CA. How extensive and how much of a PITA can this be? Is it worth sacrificing 4-speed and the 2F engine to never have to worry about smog checks?

A huge pita, I searched for a long time to find one that I didn't have to worry about smog on.
Why do you say sacrifice a 4-speed and 2F? I have both in my 75 that's smog exempt

Front disc swap is pretty easy as well

I believe the smog issue has been well stated above. To sum up, try for an exempt year to save any headaches. If you go for an earlier year you may find a modified truck that meets your needs— V8, disc brakes conversion and updated suspension. For fun, I just checked Craigslist in San Francisco and there are about six FJ40s for sale.

You should also check the local clubs and say you are looking and your price range. You may find someone who is thinking of selling but doesn’t want to deal with posting and the tire kickers.

It’s all about being patient and having the cash on hand when the your ready to buy.

Good luck

And, in case you're unfamiliar with CA smog testing... I'm not from CA or have ever done this first hand, but have read comments and believe they are similar to what was done in Anchorage, AK when I lived there in the '90's... Which is pretty different to the testing done in Seattle, WA up until recently....

They will open the hood and visually verify every single piece of equipment that is supposed to be installed. (I dunno if they are validating off the smog sticker of have some other reference). And will often unit test individual pieces of equipment.

So, that flap on the air filter's inlet horn that's supposed to draw hot air off the exhaust manifold when the engine is cold. Not only does it need to be there and connected to the air hose off the exhaust manifold, they might test it to see if it really does close when it is cold. Every one of the vacuum lines will need to be attached.

This isn't just sticking a probe up in the exhaust and measuring. (this is all they were doing with several other vehicles I owned living in King County, WA, just testing if it was running clean or not).

My experience in Denver Colorado where they adopted CA emissions standards was that the year of the vehicle had to meet the smog requirements for the VIN year of the vehicle including an under the hood exam and exhaust exam to see that nothing had been altered. If you altered anything you had to go to a referee station for certified amendments, but you still had to pass at the tail pipe with any alterations you may have made to your vehicle. ie, headers, carbs, fuel injection, V8’s etc. When I put a 2002 V8 in my 1984 FJ60 it passed 1984 specs easily. I was now environmentally friendly!

When I imported my 1981 Colombian spec 43 it had zero smog equiptment. ( i was happy about that). Because it was imported without emissions and was certified at the port by the DOT, EPA and homeland security that no altercations were made to the vehicle I was given an emissions exemption. But I still had to meet minimum tailpipe specs at idle and at 2500 rpm for a 1981 Vin. Of course that wasn’t easy either, requiring de-tuning the carb and timing to make the mark. Kind of a hassle but it worked every year which it was required to do.

devo

I am seeing in my crystal ball where this is going:

6 Months after purchasing a s*** box 43 from South America:

"Help!!! I'm stuck on the side of the road and the intermediate steering shaft just missed my brain and went through the seat. Steering wheel is off center. My tires are pointing the wrong direction. What should I do?"

:lol:

They have a bad reputation for a reason.

Last edited:
Spent 10+ years in San Francisco - North Beach area. I would suggest you wait until you are in “the Bay Area” before buying an FJ40. There are so many opportunities to find, view, and drive an FJ40 before buying.

Plus you need to factor in SMOG requirements - one does not buy an FJ40 without confirming it passes SMOG. It’s just part of the purchase process - everything is confirmed first.

Oh yeah, disc brakes at all four corners if you’re driving the hills of San Francisco.

For all those hills highly recommend a hand emergency brake next to the drivers seat. Walking the clutch burns them up quicker. If you got the hand brake give it a jerk at the traffic light. Let out the clutch when green at same time releasing the hand brake. Unless that third leg you want to Brag about can hold the foot brake while the other two work the gas and clutch.

The best is to buy a US spec one so it has a heather

Last edited:
For all those hills highly recommend a hand emergency brake next to the drivers seat. Walking the clutch burns them up quicker. If you got the hand brake give it a jerk at the traffic light. Let out the clutch when green at same time releasing the hand brake. Unless that third leg you want to Brag about can hold the foot brake while the other two work the gas and clutch.
You know what, I may just install a fourth pedal slightly closer to the seat, so that trusty third leg of mine can handle a brake of it's own.

@Onur Haha, point taken. I'll narrow my search. I don't need my FJ looking like a cartoon jalopy after driving it 5 miles down the road.

@devo @kerplunk @brooklyn Appreciate the insight into the smog test, and now I know forsure that it's a little more in-depth than hooking a "Smog-o-Meter" up to the tailpipe and getting a reading ;)

Unless something comes up that's already prepared to pass smog, I'm going to keep a lookout for 75 and newer FJs. I have no problem doing a disc conversion or any more upgrading on my own..just want to find a vehicle for a decent price that's already somewhat of the way there.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom