advice on my future (may be) purchase: LC 1999-2000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am looking for advice on my future (may be) purchase: LC 1999-2000.
I am currently own 1996 4Runner V6, 4x4 so I am try to compare and see all pluses and minuses of this “swap”. So I would really appreciate to hear people with experience with both (Runner and LC) vehicles.
So far I only seriously looked at 1999 LC with central and rear def. locks by the way is it a standard options on LC? It had 76K and dealer want $20900.00 for it.
But I was not really impressed about how the ride was. For some reason it was not smooth as I had expected. It was harsher ride that my 4runner and I also heard hamming noise coming from the engine at about 1700 rpm and going around 50 mph- is this normal?
I know that LC is very capable vehicle but just comparing to my stock 4runner it looked a lot lower to the ground and if you will count larger wheelbase I would have to think twice to take LC off-road where I would take 4runner with ease. So the question is: if you planning to take LC off-road (even moderate one) do you need to think about lift and if yes how much $ it will be?
Also I occasionally would use my truck to sleep in on hunting trips and I did find the way to fold the back seats in LC to make a room to do that. Can any one comment on that?

I also heard about “manifold cracking” issue anything else watch-out for?

Any other comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your responses and sorry for a long post.

Last edited:
I've never ridden in a harder riding (modern) SUV than the mid-to-late 90's 4-Runners. If you think the LC is riding rougher, maybe there's someting wrong with the suspension(?).

I have a 2001 LC100 and before that I had a 2000 4Runner Limited. In my opionion there is no comparison between the two. While I liked the 4 runner and never had any problems with it I can tell you that I love the 100 for the interior space, comfort, smooth ride and the V8. I use mine for towing and enclosed trailer with two race bikes and all of the gear that I need and for some mild off roading on some old logging roads with lots of elevation change to get to my weekend place. I can say that I have not regretted the swap once. Good luck in your soul searching.

Sounds like something's up/wrong. You can 1) pass on this and keep looking or 2) use this to your advantage and lower the price. If it is suspension, I would not have the dealer fix it and keep the price the same, as you can improve ride handling through other means (OME suspension) for less cost.

Does the same noise occur when the truck is in park or neutral and the egnine is rev'd to 1700rpms or is this simply whilst underway?

Sounds like you need to try to find other LCs to test drive...for comparison. The negatives you have listed are not representative of my '99 LC (when I got it stock or now).

The 2000 as you surely know if you have read the above recommended reads has TRAC...no rear locker but should have the center locker. The '99, for the most part, came with rear and center locker.

When I bought my '99 almost a year ago I decided, since I had budgeted a certain amount of $$$ to purchase, I wanted a lower mileage '99 than a higher mileage 2000...

I've spent considerable time driving my parents 2002 4runner and there is really no comparison to the Land Cruiser, which is much nicer.

Ride quality is a very subjective issue. What specifically do you mean?

There are no shortage of used Land Cruisers around. Take your time and find one in great condition. Hammering noises at any rpm don't sound normal to me.

The only real minus on the trail is the increased size and weight. The ground clearance is still good and you can run 33" tires on the Land Cruiser with the stock suspension. I've taken my Land Cruiser on all the same trails I took my Tacoma on so far.

You are looking at some maintenance stuff at around 90k, but it should be good for another 90k. Budget this stuff when you buy it.

There are a ton of rust free Cruisers in CA and AZ to look at.

Thank you to all for your responses. I appreciated all comments and recommendations!!!
And I will continue to search for better deal.

3fj40 said:
Does the same noise occur when the truck is in park or neutral and the egnine is rev'd to 1700rpms or is this simply whilst underway?

You can hear hamming noise only when you drive under light load.

Can you also please answer couple more questions?
1) is it possible to fold a back seat to be able to sleep back there (I need about 6 feet J)?
2) How much would it cost to lift LC about 2 inches?
3) Would putting 33 tires affect the feeling of power from V8?
4) What percentage of LC have “manifold cracking” issue and at what millege?(if it possible to answer).

Again thank you all very much!!!

1. Yes, though the 2nd row seats don't fold flat so you might be at an angle. Others might know better than me.
2. $1000 (you should do a diff-drop)
3. Not noticable with 33". Noticeable with 35"
4. An EXTREME few

And you should focus on a 2000+ for NUMEROUS reasons. Do a search on this. :)

As for sleeping, sleeping diagonal in the back does work but may be a little cramped. Other options:

A) Build/buy a rear shelf or drawer system that is level with the 2nd row seat when folded down. i.e. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=52834
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=519067&postcount=3

B) Remove one/both of the 2nd row seating.

C) Get a tent that you can throw on the back of your cruiser with the tailgate down. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=521809&postcount=17

Thank you very much to ALL who have responded.
Great info and comments!!!
I will continue to search for a good deal.
I do feel a little bit disappointed that LC doesn’t offer simpler solution for folding back seats to have more flat surface there (I do use my 4Runner on hunting trips and I do sleep in it). Oh well…… I just have to think more about swap J
Again thank you guys!!!

I'm not sure what the problem is with the seats? The rear jump seats come out east and the middle row folds all the way forward. What am I missing here?

progress4m said:
Thank you very much to ALL who have responded.
Great info and comments!!!
I will continue to search for a good deal.
I do feel a little bit disappointed that LC doesn’t offer simpler solution for folding back seats to have more flat surface there (I do use my 4Runner on hunting trips and I do sleep in it). Oh well…… I just have to think more about swap J
Again thank you guys!!!

I have the AO drawers in the back and with just the backs of the middle row folded forward I am able to set up a good sleeping deck...I use a small piece of 1/2" ply to bridge the gap where the seat/drawer junction is then a small piece of closed cell foam over the seat back to creat a level surface. If you are hunting, camping out of the LC like me you are, more than likely, going to want some type of storage drawer system back there anyway...

calamaridog said:
I'm not sure what the problem is with the seats? The rear jump seats come out east and the middle row folds all the way forward. What am I missing here?

Yes,
That is correct but the flat spot (between the folded seats and back gate) is about 5 feet and I need 6 feet. So in this respect smaller 4Runner offers more room than LC.

progress4m said:
Yes,
That is correct but the flat spot (between the folded seats and back gate) is about 5 feet and I need 6 feet. So in this respect smaller 4Runner offers more room than LC.

FYI: I am 5'10" and sleep in the back of my '99 100 with plenty of room...

progress4m said:
Yes,
Not sure I understand, both the 4r and the 100 have fold/tumble or folding 2nd row seats, which allow for a flat load floor, and the 100 is larger than the 4r, won't there be more room in the 100 than the 4r when the second row seats are folded? Or am I wrong about that?:confused:

firetruck41 said:
Not sure I understand, both the 4r and the 100 have fold/tumble or folding 2nd row seats, which allow for a flat load floor, and the 100 is larger than the 4r, won't there be more room in the 100 than the 4r when the second row seats are folded? Or am I wrong about that?:confused:

My observation about space in the back of LC is based on only ONE LC I have looked at.
That LC had third row of seats and I know that you can remove them and fold 2-nd row and with this setup (with 3-rd row removed and 2-nd folded) it was about 5 feet between folded seats and back gate. Maybe with deferent configuration or model where you can fold 2-nd row so it will create more flat space. That is why I asked this question about space in the first place.
And when I am saying about deferent configuration or model where you can fold 2-nd row to create more space in the back I mean folding seats like I can fold them in 4runner: cushion of the seat goes up and back of the seat fold flat with the rest of the floor.
I did not see how I can do it in LC.

hoser said:
No, the LC can't fold it's seats like the 4Runner. But removing one seat is fairly easy (4 bolts).

For clarification, here's what progress4m is saying about the rear seats in a 4Runner.

http://www.mycolorado.org/4runner_camping.html

Gotcha...thanks Hoser. My set-up, with the drawers, is basically the same...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom