Advice on lifting my fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok long story short. I bought a 2.5 ome medium lift and installed with 285 75 16s. Needless to say i want more lift and 35" tires. Is slee the only way to go for a 4" lift. My gosh the price of that kit haha. May be a dumb question( i have alot of those) but, what are "j springs"? Any help or advice will help more than youll ever know. Thanks

image.jpg

Ok long story short. I bought a 2.5 ome medium lift and installed with 285 75 16s. Needless to say i want more lift and 35" tires. Is slee the only way to go for a 4" lift. My gosh the price of that kit haha. May be a dumb question( i have alot of those) but, what are "j springs"? Any help or advice will help more than youll ever know. Thanks

I'm not going to be a lot of help, since I run stock height OME coils, but here's a little.

Do you just want to run 35s? If so, based on reading over the years, the 2.5" lift will accommodate fitting 35s in many cases. Then again, the stock height suspension will accommodate 33s. Some folks do want the extra air/lift, but you don't really need it.

There are other options in 4" lifts, but Slee does it right. If you gain that much, you'll need the DC front driveshaft. The rear suspension parts are the other big factor in the price of that kit.

More on tires vs suspension options here, as well as the answer to What are J springs?
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_35.htm

Save up your pennies and get the SLEE kit. I'm rock'n their springs with FOX shocks and really like it.

Have to say, I am pretty happy with my OME J setup like landtanks. I just added 2" MT front coil spacers and MT CC plates.

I know there are a lot of options out there. THe J setup did not cost all that much.

IMHO

Not that it would be much help coming from an Aussie but I run a 3" lift using HD Dobinsons coils and am very happy with it and don't really feel the need for any more height (admittedly much higher and I would be attracting too much attention from the cops given that anything over 2" suspension lift is illegal). Running 285/75R16's I can go most places I want and it isn't a pig to drive on the road. Admittedly I still haven't completely upgraded my suspension, still need to do pan hards, rear arms and castor correction even so it is nice to drive.

My only let down with my suspension set-up is I am restricted by the shocks. I currently have old man emu shocks to suit a 4" lift but i wish i had gone for 5 or 6" shocks.

Height isn't everything and you loose stability the higher you go. I could comfortably fit 35's under mine as it sits. I know of a guy running 37's on 3" with a guard chop.

Consider having a look at Superior Engineering here is Aus. They probably will freight to america at a premium. However you can get an idea of what sort of kit you will need to put together and then shop around and buy the separate components at the cheapest price you can find and build your own kit essentially

So for my 4 inch lift I got springs, castor correction plates and OME shocks from Slee panhard rods from Iron Man and I am using Metaltech upper control arms for the rear. I also have a double cardan drive shaft in the front and the rear. I run 35s and they still rub in the rear.

Slee has a great 6" setup, with their control arms. But I would look elsewhere for a 4" lift. 4" does get more complicated with all the parts involved but plenty of options out there. :cheers:

So for my 4 inch lift I got springs, castor correction plates and OME shocks from Slee panhard rods from Iron Man and I am using Metaltech upper control arms for the rear. I also have a double cardan drive shaft in the front and the rear. I run 35s and they still rub in the rear.

Great example.

image.jpg
Slee 6" front, 4" rear(no stinkbuggin) coils. You don't need all the 'other parts' except the caster plates and brakelines. Buy the rest as you get $ or want. The $30(summit racing) procomp es1000 shocks work as good as the 150k mile stock ones did :D

I think the best option is to piece it together. Like @Booger weldz said except I think panhards are a necessity too.

Ome does? I've looked on their site, can't find anything.

As with all springs depending on rig weight,,, the J front/heavy rear setup nets ~3.5-4" of lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom