Advice on LC100? Potentially buying one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I am new to the forum and was hoping this would a great place to get advice on my situation. I found an 04 LX 470 that I am thinking of purchasing.

It has 115k miles. Timing belt amd water pump was changed at 95k. I made several phones calls to the dealerships where it was previously serviced to get an idea of its history.

Historically it's been serviced by toyota and Lexus and completed the 120k mile service. Clean history and no accidents reported.

One red flag is that the toyots dealer/seller is currently replacing the Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid and leaking tranny line. Now I wonder if the previous owner was having symptoms with shifting or overheating and now questioning how much life this specific transmission has left? How has your LC100 perform engine and tranny wise >100k miles? Any known issues with the 5speeds? I read of the early '00 transmission failures. What do you guys think? Is this worth taking the risk? I am not able to physical test drive it for another couple days due to work etc.

I'm have a FJC and it has been super reliable so I would expect a 100 series in general to be twice as reliable being that its overbuilt naturally. Thanks.

Depends on the price.

I also had an FJC and they are incredibly reliable while also being much newer. The 100 is aging and will simply not be the same ownership experience you had with the FJC due to age of components.

Some variables are missing. While having good service records is a great thing, knowing how the vehicle was "treated" outside of the maintenance windows matters as well. If she was ridden hard but had just the normal services done then there could be other things lurking.

Also, the tranny line and solenoid replacement could be something or could be nothing. Knowing what the symptoms were and how that was come to as the solution will tell you a lot. There are dealerships out there that will just have the customer throw money at an issue without really putting much time into its diagnosis. If it truly is a sensor thing, well sensor can fail at random. The line may just be that something bounced up on the road causing the line to become compromised and thus the replacement.

Talk with the dealership and see if you can talk with the techs working on it. Might get a better idea of the "worth" of the vehicle.

I had a code thrown for a transmission solenoid when my transmission fluid was low. I got it filled properly and cleared the code and it hasn't happened again. There was probably nothing wrong with the solenoid and it just went haywire/threw a code as a result of the low fluid.

People generally wouldn't drive for long with a transmission that was leaking fluid, since at a certain point the truck wouldn't move anymore. Maybe I'm just telling myself that... since my truck's history has something similar ;).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom