Advice on half doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been restoring my '46 ford tractor so havent been working on the cruiser much...it is summer and I want some hard half doors. A while ago I bought a hard top and doors. The fronts are in perfect shape..no rust any where. I HATE to cut these up as they are hard to come by but I have looked all over and can not find a set of halfs anywhere near a near normal price. What is the best method of cutting them...torch or cutoff wheel? I am just going to put a straight cap on them. These are the late model doors so I am hoping to move the inside latch down a bit so that I can open from the inside. IF anyone has a nice pair of late model halfs I would be interested in perhaps trading. as always thanks for the help.
doors.jpg

Hard doors

Don't cut those up. I have a set of doors that would make nice half doors, the top is bent, and it appears I am not to far from you. I'll PM you. Steve

here are my doors
door1.JPG

took me maybe an hour per side. I just used a cutoff wheel, torch is a little overkill for sheet and hard to cut straight IMO.

I wouldn't cut those doors up if I were you, the ones I cut up were jacked on the window frame

when i made mine i used a jigsaw with a 18tpi blade...worked out real nice.

also, you'll want to mount the doors first and make sure your hinges hang true. i just took measurements off the tub for mine and when i hung them, the driver's side door was a little low, maybe by a 1/4 inch. no biggie for a beater like mine, and i doubt anybody would notice anyways, but it's nice to do things right, you know?

malphrus

hey tock13, welcome back! havn't seen you on here in forever. dont cut those up they are to nice. pm meat and get a different set. i cut up an old pre 74 pair because i couldnt find a nice set so i could cut mine up. keep them if you can they are getting harder to come by. and if you dont get the ones from meat let me know i would like to get dibs on them and if meat reads this PM me if tock13 doesnt get them.

72cruiser said:
when i made mine i used a jigsaw with a 18tpi blade...worked out real nice.

also, you'll want to mount the doors first and make sure your hinges hang true. i just took measurements off the tub for mine and when i hung them, the driver's side door was a little low, maybe by a 1/4 inch. no biggie for a beater like mine, and i doubt anybody would notice anyways, but it's nice to do things right, you know?

malphrus

Good tip.

Nutley, flat black is slowly swallowing your cruiser bro!

Drew

Don't ruin those doors. I remember seeing some company on mud about a month ago who was selling half doors for fj40.

there are two pair on ebay as we speak.....do not cut those nice doors

REZARF said:
Nutley, flat black is slowly swallowing your cruiser bro!

Drew

Flat black covers dents :) Not like my paint was decent to begin with
Flat black will slowly be evened out with semi gloss as more tube makes finds its way into it. :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom