Advice on getting spare tire down - FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DUTCHDJ1

SILVER Star
Threads
I've searched around on the forums but haven't found a thread to help me get mine down from underneath. Have all the jack pieces it's just seized up. I've coated it in PB Blast and let it soak but no joy. Anybody had any luck getting above the tire when it is stuck there to get it down? Looking for any ideas. Thanks in advance.

If you can access the bolts that hold the hoist cross member onto the truck then you might be able to drop the whole thing.

Although I would first try what is done in this thread: FJ62 Seized Spare Tire Removal - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj62-seized-spare-tire-removal.733356/post-8510260. The OP was able to deflate the tire, then there was enough slop in the chain to disengage the rim holder from the rim to drop the tire away. Then you will have full access to your frozen hoist to determine how to proceed.

1663340399825.png

1663340442566.png

Thanks. I was trying to avoid unbolting the cross member but it ended being easier than screwing with the mechanism (and the POs no tread flat spare was already deflated and missing the tire stem valve). I need to treat some beginning stages of rust anyway after getting it down. And replace the whole mechanism as it's pretty rusty and not sure if it will ever work again.

20220916_135234.jpg

20220916_135241.jpg

Thanks. I was trying to avoid unbolting the cross member but it ended being easier than screwing with the mechanism (and the POs no tread flat spare was already deflated and missing the tire stem valve). I need to treat some beginning stages of rust anyway after getting it down. And replace the whole mechanism as it's pretty rusty and not sure if it will ever work again.

View attachment 3116541

View attachment 3116542
This is a golden excuse to buy a built bumper with swing outs to the Mrs. Sure would suck to have a blowout in Land Cruiser territory. Also gets rid of those vulnerable end caps that tend to get all twisted or break off.
Rusty spare holder may indicate rear frame rust, especially the rear cross member that gets removed for the upgraded bumper.

It's good to get the tire out of there for inspecting your frame rails in this area to see if it needs paint or serious rust abatement. Those chain mechanisms require regular use and lubrication, otherwise they seize up like that.

I put my spare inside on a bracket available from SOR. Built bumper would be nice, for sure, but they're big bucks.

This is a golden excuse to buy a built bumper with swing outs to the Mrs. Sure would suck to have a blowout in Land Cruiser territory. Also gets rid of those vulnerable end caps that tend to get all twisted or break off.
Rusty spare holder may indicate rear frame rust, especially the rear cross member that gets removed for the upgraded bumper.
Unfortunately, cash prohibits a new bumper at this point. At least the little old lady I got my LC from paid for the extra undercoating option (even though no power windows = blessing in disguise) so I don't have any frame or underbody rust except for a few minor surface rust areas that I'm going to stiff wire brush and put some rust encapsulator from Eastwood on it. Eventually I'll start replacing all bolts underneath where they have been exposed. It will be fun finding all of those parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom