Advice on getting a FJ55 from Canada to Alabama (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The issue is when you're importing vehicles regularly. For a one-off import like yours they won't raise an eyebrow. Customs Brokers aren't really necessary if you're doing a solitary, personal import of an older vehicle; if you do too many and/or too frequent of imports CBP will assume you are importing for resale, and then you'll need a broker.

The issue is when you're importing vehicles regularly. For a one-off import like yours they won't raise an eyebrow. Customs Brokers aren't really necessary if you're doing a solitary, personal import of an older vehicle; if you do too many and/or too frequent of imports CBP will assume you are importing for resale, and then you'll need a broker.
That’s exactly what I was assuming was the case, so thank you for clearing that up. Learned quite a lot in the past couple of days.

Update: In an unfortunate turn of events, I just received word from the owner of the FJ55 that I was pursuing, that it has now been sold to another buyer. Apparently he had a local buyer come look at it today and purchased it on the spot and drove it away.

So, thanks again for everyone’s help the past few days. I am all the more knowledgeable on the import process as a result. I’m kind of bummed about missing out on the potential sporadic trip to Alberta and NW Montana, since I know for a fact that I could have stuffed all of my fly fishing gear into a carry on bag.

Im still on the hunt for a 55, and will keep on an eye on the classifieds. If anyone catches wind of one that falls somewhere between rusted-out and restored, let me know.

Ben

There will be another!

Money talks not surprised its been for sale awhile

bummer on the missed sale, no reason you still couldn't visit sometime

update on the border locally, it is closed for Canadians coming south, that is what is getting hi-line towns upset, as they are losing business

I did indeed import a really nice BJ70 but it was back in 2008. I still have the paperwork from the transaction and would be glad to photocopy it and send it to the potential buyer. As I recall I made the deal, paid for the truck, and had a trucker pick it up and take it to a warehouse in Champlain NY. It was the Deringer Warehouse. It had to sit there for awhile until something cleared I don't remember the details. When all was well I had it trucked down here to me in PA by Coastal Express.
The importer I used was A-1 import/export in Champlain. Contact there is Frank Connabree but I doubt you'll be using them. Frank might be able to direct you to someone in Alberta though. Let me know if you need specific contact information.

Regarding the border, our friend David who has been writing articles for Toyota Trails in recent years, was unable to make it down to the Fall Gathering this past week in New Hampshire. David said he'd have been able to cross into the US but not get back into Canada. No idea what today's rules are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom