Advice on finding/choosing diesel 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I'm new to the forum here, but I like what I see. I used to drive a 1981 FJ40, and I'm now lusting after a 60 series. I would really like to find one with a factory-installed diesel, and I was wondering what the performance of those engines was like. Is it worth buying a 4 cyl diesel for use as a daily driver? Also, I'd prefer an automatic transmission, did the factory diesel-powered 60s come equipped with ATs?

I'm in no danger of buying one tomorrow, just trying to figure out what to look for, so when the right one pops up, I can grab it.

By the way, I'm super impressed with the rigs that forum members here have, nice work!

Thanks for the advice.

-Rich.

Well welcome aboard! The 60 bug is a good one,their tough and will treat you right. They will not win any power awards or races.If you live in a area of hills good luck and you will want to add a turbo . My understanding is that the 60 diesel was not available in the US so you will have to import one.Seems a lot of people look for a diesel and then a truck to put it in cuz most Canadian diesel 60's are rotted to death. Being patient is key and you won't regret your decision.

rocrunr, thanks for the info. Are there aftermarket turbos available for the 3B or 2H engines?

Canadian HJ and BJ 60s are going to be your closest option for import. There are some already imported running around but they pull a pretty penny. Don't forget that to legally import a non-USA truck it needs to be 25yrs or older. As for the auto Iv seen a 2H with one but not sure on the 3B, but just about any swap is possible with some research. From what Iv read the 3B takes to a turbo much better then the 2H but kits are available for both( I hope I didn't open a can of worms there! ).
Good luck on the search! (Still looking for my donor CAN truck)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom