Advice on bent u-bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottw

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi all: I've been lurking here for a while and have received much good advice through that, but here's one I couldn't find by searching:

My 1987 FJ60 has OME heavy duty suspension, installed in the fall of 2001. I live in Mongolia, and about 80% of my driving is very rough off-road. Not rock crawling, but lots of 30-50 MPH over dirt tracks, washboard, large gravel, etc.

I noticed recently that the u-bolts in the rear are bent. Is this a problem, or should I ignore it until something fails? Attached is a photo. The front ones look OK still.

Thanks for any and all advice. Cruiser mechanics are a little scarce in Ulaanbaatar.

-Scott
rightubolt.jpg

They look as though they have been overtightened. Next time, use a torque wrench?

Looks like the spring plates are pretty severely bent. I would be more concerned about that than the u-bolts.

IMO get a new set of spring plates and ubolts, bolt it all up and stop thinkin about it.

Overtightened. New ubolts and plates will get you straight.

Or do something like this...

Flip

Nial

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll order myself some new ubolts and spring plates, or maybe the MAF flip set. Keeping my 60 in good running condition here in Mongolia is often a challenge, since parts and expertise are both in short supply.

Here's a shot from 2 weeks ago, stuck in a river in northern Mongolia. Had to find a guy with a big, ancient Russian dump truck to pull me out.

-Scott
river.jpg

That is a sweet shot!

scottw said:
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll order myself some new ubolts and spring plates, or maybe the MAF flip set. Keeping my 60 in good running condition here in Mongolia is often a challenge, since parts and expertise are both in short supply.

Here's a shot from 2 weeks ago, stuck in a river in northern Mongolia. Had to find a guy with a big, ancient Russian dump truck to pull me out.

-Scott
Scott,

Next time just get a lot of balloons (or tire tubes : ) and fill them up under it : )

Nice shot. Yeah, use a torque wrench when you get the parts, definatly too tight.

me to desktop!!

Glad you guys like the photo. That's a pretty typical landscape for Mongolia. A few yaks in the background and lots of open space. Great country for off-road driving.

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom