Advice on an HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Looking into purchasing an HJ61 to replace my current car, as my needs for overlanding/touring require something bigger, and with better capabilities. This won't be the first time a 60 Series has been in the family, but it will be my first LC, and first diesel and like any used car there is a degree of unknown.

This HJ61 comes with a 12H-T with around 300,000km, but I have read here and on other forums that this engine can go double that without much issue. The transmission is an A440, with a rebuilt rear end.

What are some things to look for other than leaks, and rust, while checking the car out? PO has owned the HJ for approx. 10 years.

Thanks, in advance.

If it's love at first sight, buy it if it runs good and isn't too rusty.

Hi all,

Looking into purchasing an HJ61 to replace my current car, as my needs for overlanding/touring require something bigger, and with better capabilities. This won't be the first time a 60 Series has been in the family, but it will be my first LC, and first diesel and like any used car there is a degree of unknown.

This HJ61 comes with a 12H-T with around 300,000km, but I have read here and on other forums that this engine can go double that without much issue. The transmission is an A440, with a rebuilt rear end.

What are some things to look for other than leaks, and rust, while checking the car out? PO has owned the HJ for approx. 10 years.

Thanks, in advance.

If it’s the grey one for sale in Whistler, it looks really nice in the pictures

What have you end up buying? I'm just smiling and need to reply you here, when I reading about my car. Once I said, I'll never buy car from Whistler, and here I'm, with HJ61 from Whistler.
So far so good. Not that much bad on it.

One of the best trucks ever made. The A440f can have issues at that mileage. I replaced mine, but as I recall if you hear a clunk when shifting you may need a McNamara gear or look at a Rodney rebuilt. Can be a tough transmission to source. A440F auto transmission "thud" when letting off gas - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a440f-auto-transmission-thud-when-letting-off-gas.997377/
Man! Thanks for that. When transmission is cold it takes her time to shift to overdrive. Once there, no problem shifting around. But that “thud” i’ll try to feel next time when I driving it if is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom