advice on additional back-up lighting? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my fj62 has some dark tint on the windows, and it makes driving in reverse a fun experiment every time. i was thinking of adding some small light under the rear bumper that would go on when the back-up lights go on. has anyone done this before? pics?

any basic advice on brands, strength, mounting locations, wiring? i have a hitch under the bumper, so rear clearance really isn't an issue with them hanging down.

i'm new to all of this, so don't feel bad about over-explaining.

thanks,
mark

Same boat

I have super dark tint also and even worse no back-up lights at all. I do not think you mount them below the bumper and ever go offroad. I will follow this post.

my thinking is that if they're only a couple of inches tall and mounted below the bumper, they won't extend any lower than the trailer hitch. that's what i mean. ideas anyone?

I'm also interested in this thread. I was thinking the other day that I'd start looking for lights that could be flush mounted inside the stock bumper of my 62 and tied into the back-up light circuit. Any leads on where I could start looking for a good lighting product for such an idea?

I 'had' extra back up lights mounted in the same place with the same idea you have. First trip out, they became part of the hillside. Recess them into the bumper, or look to replace the bulbs with some brighter bulbs. I've heard of people taking the lens off and 'spray-chroming' the area where the back up light bulb would be. Have not seen it done though.

were yours mounted like this? (the pink part) this isn't my FJ, but it has the same bumper and hitch that i do. i used my award-winning photoshop skills to put in pink rectangles where i'm talking about putting lights.
P5150301-1-1-1.jpg

I like the cheap Tractor Supply Lights. If you back into anything the bulb just pops out. They can be mounted almost anywhere and are low watts:beer:

were yours mounted like this?

That's where mine will be installed, someday. Bought a package from Cabela's (i think). First 60 had the rear hitch bolts on so tight (air impact wrenchd) that my friendly avionics wiring guy couldn't back them out for install.

First 60 was also limo-tinted, so I feel your pain. FWIW I found the knock-off manual 62 type mirrors to be a HUGE help.

edit: googling for a link revealed this nifty LED idea Cabela's -- LED Light Bar

and this yota tech thread Backup Lights - YotaTech Forums

HTH

If you are going to the trouble of adding extra back up lights put them someplace practical.

I wired mine to a switch rather than the reverse circuit so they are more useful when I am wheeling.

Tony
overall view.jpg

were yours mounted like this? (the pink part) this isn't my FJ, but it has the same bumper and hitch that i do. i used my award-winning photoshop skills to put in pink rectangles where i'm talking about putting lights.

That's exactly where I had them. And those photoshop skillz are better than mine! :p

super! i can't add a roof rack, or i wouldn't be able to park at work, so the bumper area is my best bet. the yota thread is perfect, and i think i'll try something like the guy with the 4runner -- something that stays above the bottom of the hitch bar.

That's where mine will be installed, someday. Bought a package from Cabela's (i think). First 60 had the rear hitch bolts on so tight (air impact wrenchd) that my friendly avionics wiring guy couldn't back them out for install.

First 60 was also limo-tinted, so I feel your pain. FWIW I found the knock-off manual 62 type mirrors to be a HUGE help.

edit: googling for a link revealed this nifty LED idea Cabela's -- LED Light Bar

and this yota tech thread Backup Lights - YotaTech Forums

HTH

If you are going to do additional lights, go LED... your stock wiring will appreciate it.

Advanced auto parts has a LED driving light kit for $30.00 I was lookin at makin mounts on my swing out for em

Look for replacement bulbs made by Blazer International. I replaced my stock backup lights with these and they're much brighter. Can't remember the exact bulb #, though.

Since I had a 50 amp battery power wire run to the rear of my Mini for other loads I put a relay back there. The reverse lights trigger the relay which turns on one fog light from a 90's Mustang GT (JY sourced). It does hang down below the frame, but I put it back under the truck approximately where the front of the 60 series fuel tank is. That way it's low and protected.
I used the Rustang GT part because it is wider than the typical fog light and shallower too. I think it was made by Marchal, so it is a good light and has been very helpful.

My Mini's PO did the "Silver Chrome" spray paint trick and added high wattage reverse light bulbs. They work pretty good, but the fog light is far superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom