Advice on 3speed transmission issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new to me 1969 fj40, the po said he put a new clutch in but as I shift through the gears it works great. When down shifting it grinds going into gear. It is the orgnal 3 speed on the tree, I can double clutch it and it still grinds. Is it the syncros?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Theres no syncro in first gear on the three speeds. So no matter what you do.... It's always gona grind going into first. Second and third should not grind.

If you dont like it swap it out for a 4 speed

I would like to try to keep it original if i could. There has to be a fix.

if its grinding in second and 3rd downshifts it may need rebuilt,1st gear requires lots of practice.also the 3 on the tree lincage may be sloppy after all these years.

The key to the 3 speed is that you NEVER downshift into first gear. Only use first when you are stopped.

FJnew said:
Theres no syncro in first gear on the three speeds. So no matter what you do.... It's always gona grind going into first. Second and third should not grind.

If you can properly double clutch it won't grind going into ANY gear. Just a matter of getting the technique right.

stock '77 fj40 with 31x10.5's daily driver

Yes, only using first gear when stopped. Its just that 3rd to second that is grinding.

If it goes into gear easily when you're stopped with the engine running then it's not the clutch. I usually double clutch going into 3rd on my 4speed because the synchro is worn.

Also if the synchro is in good condition and you try to put it in gear without using the clutch (matching the revs) you will feel some resistance of the synchro trying to speed up or slowdown the input shaft. You would have to push reasonably hard to get past this for it to grind. So basically start the engine. Try to put it into 2nd without the clutch. If it grinds easily without prior resistance I'd say itd be the synchro.... Which is most likely anyway because over the years 2nd would be the gear most often changed down too in turn wearing the synchros (3rd on a 4speed).

stock '77 fj40 with 31x10.5's daily driver

if its grinding in second and 3rd downshifts it may need rebuilt,1st gear requires lots of practice.also the 3 on the tree lincage may be sloppy after all these years.

I'd check to be sure the linkage is properly adjusted and go from there. That was always the issue on my old Ford three speed.

If you can properly double clutch it won't grind going into ANY gear. Just a matter of getting the technique right.

3 pn the tree is retro cool
If grinding from 3 to 2 you are a foo
If you double clutch right
No grinding in sight.

If it were me I would find another 3 speed. Probably cheaper to replace than repair. Most people give away the 3 speeds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom