Advice on 1997 FZJ75 LHD Registration in Kalif (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
I've been looking at 70-series trucks (I have almost no knowledge of them other than what commonalities they may share with late 60 series trucks) but was wondering how difficult it is to register in Kalifornia a truck that's already in USA and currently reg in a 48-State?

There's a 1997 FZJ75 LHD GCC model with air, PS 1FZ-F with 200k miles, little spots of body rust...

What should I be aware of?

How difficult to source parts?

( I know these questions have been asked already but only posts I could find are old ...)

I love these trucks but don't want to jump in with my eyes closed, like I did with 40 and 60 series 15 years ago! Not that that's a bad thing, but just being a little smarter (I hope) this time :D

Thanks very much for any help!

Alf

You mean it's a wink-wink registration ? But it has to have the VIN and insurance ... ? I guess I don't follow.

Hello,

While interesting, this truck will not be legal to drive in the US until 2022 at the very least. You risk seizing and destruction. The government has a million ways to make your life miserable.

It is wise to pass on this one and look for a legal one.

Juan

People who bring in non-USDM cruisers less than 25 years old should never sell them to unsuspecting buyers before they reach their 25th birthday.

Hold up there guys.

There are a few 75-series pickups in the USA legally that are not 25yrs old yet. A handful were brought in and used by a university in the south iirc. There are a few more floating around that were brought in by diplomats. I don’t know the legality of those being sold, they may have been allowed in with a clause that you can’t sell it, pretty sure that is the case if a diplomat brings one in.

Not saying the truck he is looking at is legally here but it may very well be.

Cheers

While there are exemptions that allow for the temporary and/or special use importation of trucks less than 25 years old, I'm not sure what "loophole" would exist to allow such trucks to be sold into the general market (honestly, I'm not sure there is one). The federal attorneys responsible for writing the rules have made them pretty watertight, from my research.

Potential buyers should be aware that just because a truck has been registered in a given state, and has license plates, does NOT mean that it's in the country legally, and that it could still be subject to seizure and destruction. The vehicles in the infamous CBP crush videos were all titled, plated, and insured when they were confiscated by the Feds and destroyed. The laws regarding what can and cannot be imported or kept in the country are Federal laws, the laws governing registration and licensing vehicles are State laws. Sometimes they conflict.

You can buy it and store it, then register it 2022.

This is an interesting concept, but I'm not sure I'd bet the farm on it being strictly legal, either. The two most likely scenarios are that the truck was smuggled in illegally, or it was brought in on an exemption and cannot legally be sold here. In either case, it is contraband. (Is there a third possibility I've missed?) The legal question is: "does it cease to be contraband after it's been in the country for several years?" That would be an excellent question for an attorney specializing in import law, or one representing CBP. Even if it lost its contraband status after it became 25 years old (which is debatable), it would still be illegal to own it, registered or not, driven on the roads or not, until that time and would, as before, be subject to forfeiture. I can't think of a direct analogy right now, but suppose you were able to get away with smuggling a small amount of weed into the US. Would it no longer be a crime to have done so if you could safely get to a state where weed is legal? I wouldn't wager my liberty on the question.

Lost in all this has been the OP's original question, which is: What to look for and are parts readily available for these trucks? Things to look for are the same as any old car: Rust and bodged repairs come to mind. Odd noises, leaks, wrong behaviors. Parts are still relatively easy to source overseas from several vendors.

Another consideration not mentioned is that of emissions requirements. The truck in question is over 21 years old, so is exempt from Federal emissions requirements, but would still be subject to any state or local ones. If you're in California, that means CARB. The truck would undoubtedly need to be extensively modified to meet CA emissions requirements.

I just bought an August 1994 FZJ75 in KSA so it's coincidentally 25 years old this month and thus the newest legally importable LC pickup. There are plenty of parts available. I needed a few cosmetic items but also bought a bunch of spare items on PartSouq.com. I even bought a spare headliner which is still available.

Thanks for all the great info and advice.... Prolly a lot more headache than it's worth.

This is the one I was looking at: (anybody know this truck?)

Thanks for all the great info and advice.... Prolly a lot more headache than it's worth.

This is the one I was looking at: (anybody know this truck?)

I'd like to see the frame VIN...
Especially since the firewall VIN plate is "mysteriously missing" in the photos

Last edited:

I'd like to see the frame VIN...
Especially since the firewall VIN plate is "mysteriously missing" in the photos

As DOT will tell you, the burden of proof is on the importer or owner. If they aren’t disclosing, then they know exactly what they have.

I personally don’t understand how you could be so naive to think that you could sell something so clearly and obviously not legal. The dude should have just kept it to himself to enjoy.

Looking forward to the seller coming in here in telling us all what is up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom