Advice on 1996 non locked 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I have been looking at some 80 series for some time now. I am on the east coast so it is difficult for me to buy across the country in dry states. I found one local to me and have an agreed price of 7k. It has 260,000 miles and some rust. I wanted to get an opinion on the car from some of you as this would be my first one.

59CDB01B-6BD1-423D-8800-E8F51A00DBA9.jpeg

3AA7478D-0784-4402-B10F-32F40EA166A5.jpeg

31F93B5A-25F3-44BF-A5CE-4A9C7A9DF607.jpeg

6D9A2BB0-67DE-43E5-A5DB-222EFC471DD1.jpeg

B4E6D12A-BB74-450E-8C0E-17E942E305E4.jpeg

Doesn't look too bad to me. I would scrape/pressure wash away that black goopy undercoating and see what it looks like underneath it. smack the frame with a hammer in several spots. Hit it with some force. If it's severe rust you will punch through or knock chunks off

That one is hard to say with photos alone, some of the photos the rust doesn't look too bad but other photos look like the rust is severe but covered up with something.

Just see it in person and check the bottom and body very close for rust.

If it's rusty drop the price to 4k cash in hand and make a deal.

That one is hard to say with photos alone, some of the photos the rust doesn't look too bad but other photos look like the rust is severe but covered up with something.

Just see it in person and check the bottom and body very close for rust.

If it's rusty drop the price to 4k cash in hand and make a deal.
Check the front of the rear wheel wells. The seatbelt mounting points are prone to rusting out. There is a rectangle in the wheel well, smack that with a hammer too. The factory undercoating will hide severe rust in there, forgot to mention that.

Luckily I found the rust in mine before someone's life was at stake

Okay thanks for all the advice. Here are some additional photos that I thought uploaded.

Last edited:
Do you work on your own vehicles?

Pics are bad but from what I can tell the frame looks decent. The rest of it, not so much.

Opinions are like arseholes, here’s mine. I wouldn’t pay $7k for it. I’d wait for a better one and pay more for it. I attempt to work on my own vehicles and I have a hard enough time without rust.

What is leaking down that front shock and all over the radius arm? Hatch that rust is bad will need to pull the rear window to see how bad, if you can do body work not big deal, or find a new hatch. Do not believe you can get that rear window with the tent?

Thanks all. I ended up passing on this one. The search continues....

Good decision, there's way too much rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom