Advice - OME shocks unavailable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I just got a call from the shop installing the heavy/heavy OME 2.5".
His distributor does not have the OME heavy shocks in stock and is not (yet) sure when they will be received.
We were unaware there was a difference between medium and heavy, but seems there is.

So, anyone know if I could use the stock shocks until the new ones come in? Are they long enough (after the 2.5" springs are installed) for on-road?
Or, is there a better shock I could go with?
Or, are OME shocks really "that" good?

Appreciate any advice...

Thanks,
Skip

You can use the stocks for now with mostly on-road driving, but I would eventually go with longer shocks to maximize your articulation.

Why not get the OME shocks from a seller that has them in stock or can get them more quickly than your current source? There are OME vendors that support this site that are very good, e.g., Cruiser Outfitters.

Last edited:
x2 on calling CruiserOutfitters. Kurt deals direct with the importer (ARB USA) probably get a better price from him as well.

Tony

I called cruiseroutfitters yesterday, but they were out of the office.
I understand that my shop did call around and was unable to find anyone that had the heavy shocks in stock.
I do plan on calling again Monday.

Plan B- Re: the stock shocks... Has anyone actually used them on a 2.5 lifted truck? Seems to me they would work, just want to confirm it's actually been done by someone.

I really need to get this thing home.

Thanks!
Skip

I have a 62 (awaiting repairs) in my front yard without shocks and if you need to get home just drive it that way. During the rebuild of my BJ I drove it to work for a month with no shocks. Not a lot of bouncing like a 1970's land yacht.

It will be fine. Wait for the heavy OME's, I really like mine. You might call ARB in Seattle to see if they have them in stock. They don't sell direct but you can check on availability.

Tony

I drove my SOA 60 without shocks on stock springs for about 3 weeks while I was waiting to instal them. Obviously having shocks is better but it drives fine without them.

I don't know if this will help your decision process, but I did just the opposite. I ran OME shocks on a stock suspension while I was gathering the money to do the springs/shackles. I was advised that they would be OK for on- road driving, but I still managed to break a front shock tower. I'm with the other guys, just drive it without shocks for the "waiting period".

It's just part of the "new" economy. Sales have been so sluggish over the past two years manufacturers
and vendors alike don't have the reserves to keep as much inventory anymore.
The list of recently discontinued items for landcruisers, from toyota, is scary. I think twice about junking lottle parts anymore

The main job of shocks is to keep the tire on the surface of the road during most driving,driving without them is very dangerous. 2 cents Mike

Email Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. He's out playing on the weekends, but always responds on Monday. Barring that, there are plenty of other options available. I strongly recommend that you buy your shocks by the dimensions and place little confidence in any reference material.

The main job of shocks is to keep the tire on the surface of the road during most driving,driving without them is very dangerous. 2 cents Mike

While you should run with shocks, they do not keep the tire on the road. The springs do that, shocks dampen the up and down, they don't stop it or prevent it.

Lots of cars out there are running with worn out shocks which is essentially running with out them. I would be willing to bet that most people can't even tell when their shocks are toast.

Tony

OME Shocks

I know we have some in stock at my, dont remeber which versions of 60 series we have. You could call in the morning and discuss. 8045500480 (shop is independent4x in Va independent4x.com)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom