Advice needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am thinking about getting LC (currently have 1996 4Runner 4x4) and was looking for 100’s series but I came across 1996 Lexus LX 450 with 68K on it for $18,000.00.
So I would like to know what you guys think about 80’ series versus 100’. (solid axel vs IFS)
Lexus vs. Toyota.
And main questions are: straight 6 will it have enough power to tow 4000 Lbs boat? Will it feel underpowered? Does it have a timing chain? Are there known problems with this engine?

Thank you in advance.

Better truck than a 100; you will feel underpowered; that price is too high.

96 will have the timing chain ...

Fo my situation I like the solid front axle on the 80. You will be able to tow a 4000lb boat, but if you live where there are big hills it will feel underpowered. I have a supercharger and that made a huge difference when pulling my boat (3500-4000lb depending on cargo). Yes it has a timing chain. The only known problem is with the head gasket. Many are replacing them as a preventitive maintenance proceedure. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=82261 has a good discussion. There are more threads on this if you search. If you plan to wheel try to get one with locking front and rear diffs.
Check out the FAQ thread. Tons of good info in there.
Oh and welcome.
Cheers,
Sean

progress4m said:
Lexus vs. Toyota.

Your other questions were well covered.

As for the LX vs LC, there is no significant difference.... but there are dozens of differences. There was a recent discussion that brought this up again and there is a complete list of all known differences in the archives. If you are interested in the minutia then you can use the Advanced SEARCH or let us know and someone will find the post for you.

-B-

I've got an 06 LX and a 94 LC.

There's no doubt that the 06 is a more advanced, more refined, and more comfortable vehicle. The 94 isn't nearly as plush, rides much louder, and doesn't have the stopping power of the 06.

That being said, I've come to grips with the fact that I still like my old 94 LC better than the 06 LX. The LC feels more like an offroad vehicle, and I think the looks and capabilities make it a true classic in the making. The LX feels more like a nice big, comfortable urban vehicle.

I drive the 06 LX to work every day, but I look forward to the weekends when I can take the 94 LC out for some fun.

Also, I've been towing a 5000 lb boat with the 94 LC for 10 years, and it's always done very well. The trips are typically short, a matter of a few miles, but it's hilly terrain and the LC has never complained.

Kinda spendy, however it does have lockers (it's a Lexus... :D )

Check local pricing and use that as ammunition for haggling. Good Luck.

progress4m said:
Hello,
I am thinking about getting LC (currently have 1996 4Runner 4x4) and was looking for 100’s series but I came across 1996 Lexus LX 450 with 68K on it for $18,000.00.
So I would like to know what you guys think about 80’ series versus 100’. (solid axel vs IFS)
Lexus vs. Toyota.
And main questions are: straight 6 will it have enough power to tow 4000 Lbs boat? Will it feel underpowered? Does it have a timing chain? Are there known problems with this engine?

Thank you in advance.

There is a 97 LX for sale in my town with 75,000 miles and he is asking $16,900. All maintence done and new Michelin tires. I can send you his e-mail if interested. He also sent me many pics if you want them.

msahr said:
Kinda spendy, however it does have lockers (it's a Lexus... :D )

F & R diff locks were an available option on all FZJ80s; Toyota and Lexus. F & R diff locks were not standard on any versions including 40ths, Collector Editions, or Lexii.

-B-

Thank you ALL VERY MUCH for your responses and comments.
I am continued to read FAQ and all I can find on this great web site.
I am not sure if I am going to pursue my interest in 80 series. I know they are great vehicle but HG problem worries me and I do want to have a good towing abilities. (100 series with V8)
I have 4000 Lbs boat that I tow 110 Ml one way in the summer time. And I am in Texas so I need something that can pull it fairly easy and with AC on.

Thank you ALL again!!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom