Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I pulled the engine, tranny, and transfer out of a 72 fj40...I have a 2f long block waiting to be put back in, a 4 spd tranny....Should i take the time to mate the 3spd tranfercase to it or try to find something else? I want a bolt on replacement as I am a one banana mechanic....I am also minus the coil and ignition... should I spend the money on a electronic ignition or use the coil/ignition off of the F engine? I will already have to alter the drive shaft lengths as well since it hopefully will change from a 3spd to a 4 spd....thoughts appreciated!

don't bother with the 3 speed tcase.

use the coil/ignition from the F

if you have the stock 4 speed driveshafts just swap them over.

Or, have your front DS shortened to fit in the rear and have your rear ds lengthened to fit in the front.

Cheaper that way.

Also, you will need to swap out the outputs from the 3 speed tranny to the 4 speed tranny. They used different sized flanges.

I gotta disagree...

GO with the electronic ignition. Just get the ignitor and coil and distributor from an 78 or newer 40 or 60.

Set the timing and forget it for like 30,000 miles. Better spark, water proof, and NO MORE POINTS

I feel the electronic ignition is one of the best upgrades to do on a 40.

What are you planning on doing with it? If you are not doing just a hardcore trail rig, I would just use the 4 speed x-case.

Just my .02

Rezarf <><

Not a hard core trail rig but will see most of its time off of the pavement...dont have a 4spd transfer, but have a 4spd tranny and a 2f waiting to be mated together with some kind of tranfer....

Anyone one have an electronic ignition and coil... dist. and dizzy are mounted in the 2f, just need the ignition and coil....4spd transfer...

Also the f has a stainless header on it... should I swap it onto the de-smogged 2f... is this possible?

orvis17 said:
Also the f has a stainless header on it... should I swap it onto the de-smogged 2f... is this possible?

You may have fitment issues if this is going into a 60 series....

I would get the engine set in, and then try and mount the header....

Good luck!

-Steve

not a 60 but a 40...will it change any of the carb set up if a header is put on?

Kind of in the same boat here, want the 2F and 4 speed, but would like to keep the PTO on mine workable. gotta decide soon 'cuz our seasons about to start.

So now I have the header off the F and looking to put it on the 2f but another question... does the flapper in the exhaust manifold go up into the intake manifold on the 2f... can I just take the exhaust manifold off with all the smog stuff and not worry about the hole in the bottom (if there is one)?

Yup, the bottom of your intake is sealed. The stock exhaust just directs heat AT the intake, not into it. Do a test-fit on your header because some of the old school stuff wasn't notched out big enough for the studs on the 2F.

Order a full set of new 2F exhaust studs from C-Dan. A great, cheap investment against a leaking exhaust OR WORSE.

IF you don't have the 4 speed case, you can mate your old 3 speed case to the 4 speed with an adapter kit. I sell them. You can PM me or call the shop to follow up.

I also have the 4 speed PTO gear.

Hth.

Depending on what 2f you have, you will need a new pushrod cover with the "dent " in it.

I would track a fj60 down in a junk yard near you and pull it ALL off at once.

Rezarf <><

orvis17 said:
Not a hard core trail rig but will see most of its time off of the pavement...dont have a 4spd transfer, but have a 4spd tranny and a 2f waiting to be mated together with some kind of tranfer....

Anyone one have an electronic ignition and coil... dist. and dizzy are mounted in the 2f, just need the ignition and coil....4spd transfer...

Missed this part. I thought you had the whole shebang..

Alright, get the transition gear from Mark and swap the three speed tcase ontot he 4 speed tranny.

As for the ignition.. The F ignition works fine in a 2F. A later electronic ignition is better. And a HEI off of a chevy inline 6 works as well (without the need for a "dented" pushrod inspection cover)
I figured you wanted to do this as cheap as possible.

Also, use the header on the 2F.

But for doing this the

I just put a '71 F w/ 4 speed in my '70 nd had problems. The longer 4 spd changed drivelines, AND the torsion bar is so close that you can't get the parking brake apart. Several threads suggested just cutting the bar out, while some said replace it with something else if you do remove it. GFL!

Torsion bar???

on a 71 FJ40???

Me thinks you are talking about the crossmember.

And it probably will need to be moved. If you ever want to get the pbrake drum off ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom