Advice needed on FJ60 A/C and transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
An FJ 60 that I am considering buying has some peculiar things going on.....
Looks like there was a V8 swap done at some point and they never re-installed the air conditioning. I would prefer to have A/C and I'm wondering if this would be a huge expense to try to add it assuming I could find the necessary parts.
Secondly, there is a 3rd shifter installed. I haven't driven it yet but should I assume that since it's a 5-speed now that this is either a sequential shifter or the original is just no longer used? Just looking for some info before I drive a few hours to check it out in person.

034B6D57-D35D-4E77-B9CD-4A353E45F194.jpeg
FJ60 Shifter.jpg

Compressor needs to match the engine. Looks like the stock radiator so use the stock evap, condensor which can all be procured from Denso aftermarket. Get custom lines made to connect to firewall. Fill and check for leaks.

The only item I'm not sure about is the a/c amplifier...I know many have made it work, just haven't worked out what is needed. I believe it is tach signal from motor, but I will defer to those who have done it correctly.

3rd shifter might be twin stick transfer case.

As far as the A/C, the evaporator box is still there, so you need brackets to mount the compressor, the compressor, condenser, drier and hoses. Brackets should be readily available on the internet. Use a Sanden compressor like a #4663 (the original was probably a York-heavy and not very efficient), a universal drier like a 4Seasons 33403, a universal condenser like the one below, depending on size and fitting location, then have an A/C shop build hoses to connect it all. I'd guess a rough estimate at $800-$1000 to do it right.

condenser.jpg

4663.png

bracket 302.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to also guess its a twin stick transfer case. One stick allows selection o f2wd/4wd and the second allows selection of Hi/lo range. Going to guess your engine is carb'd...if so you can put a Holley Sniper on it...something to consider.

Isn't that extra shifter more in the location for a Ranger overdrive/underdrive?

Thanks for the info everyone. Hoping to get a test drive and closer look this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom