Advice needed on aux switch wiring... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the final planning stages to build an overhead switch panel, a la OregonLC, and I want to solicit some advice on my plan. The immediate accessory that I am looking to add are some aux lights to my new TJM T17. However, I want to build a six-circuit up-fitter module and switch panel--a homemade sPOD.

I've purchased the following fuse/relay box from Amazon:

And the following fuse box/bus bar:

Here is my wiring schematic--using the Eaton Contura V switches, which I am 99.9% sure is correct:
WiringDiagram Model (1).jpg

I plan to mount the fuse/relay box on the PS side of engine bay, bolted to the inner fender (in the vicinity of where the AHC pump would be, if I had AHC). I will run some multi-conductor tray cable through the PS firewall grommet to the overhead console (switch terminal #3 to relay terminal #86). I will run six (6) separate red power wires (either 10 ga. or 12 ga.) from the fuses to the battery terminal or stud on the fusible link. I will tap into accessory power in either the DS or PS footwell and connect to the fused, 6-circuit bus bar, and then run another multi-conductor tray cable up to the overhead console to power the switches (at terminal #2). I will daisy-chain the dimmable light power to terminal #6 of the switches, and probably tap that power from the dimmer control below the instrument cluster.

So, here are my questions:
  1. For the relay power wire from battery, can I just bundle the six 12 ga. wires together and then crimp them all to a single large ring terminal to connect to the battery?
  2. Is 12 ga. sufficient for lighting? (Seems heavier than most of the wiring in the factory harness.)
  3. Any advantage/disadvantage to mounting to the battery terminal clamp vs. the stud on the fusible link?
  4. For the accessory power to the switches, can I jumper all the terminal #2s to a single switched accessory power tap with one fuse? Or is it better (or necessary) to run individual wires from a bus bar, as I am planning?
  5. What's a good switched accessory power wire to tap in to in the DS or PS footwell? Where do folks like to tap.
I know that tapping into switched accessory power for lights is illegal, but I would like the ability to run the aux lights without the headlights on, and I don't think I will run afoul of any regulators. I don't think they check stuff like that in Missouri!

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Best regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom