Advice Needed on 100 Series Purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking to buy my wife a 100 Series and need some advice. I am pretty versed in the 40, 60, 62, and 80 Series trucks. But when it comes to the 100 world, I know very little.

Right now, I can buy a 1998 in perfect condition with all dealer records (and 54,000 miles) for $ 17,500. This truck has lived in the garage its whole life.

I am also looking at a 2003 with similar mileage for $ 29,000.

Neither has locking diffs, DVD, or navigation.

I have heard some talk about transmission issues with a couple of the earlier years with these. However, it would be nice to spend $ 10,000 less for a few less bells and whistles.

What should I look out for? Are there any problems that plague the earlier models? Should I pony up the extra 10 grand and get one that is newer?

I'd appreciate the advice.

I am looking to buy my wife a 100 Series and need some advice. I am pretty versed in the 40, 60, 62, and 80 Series trucks. But when it comes to the 100 world, I know very little.

Right now, I can buy a 1998 in perfect condition with all dealer records (and 54,000 miles) for $ 17,500. This truck has lived in the garage its whole life.

I have heard some talk about transmission issues with a couple of the earlier years with these. However, it would be nice to spend $ 10,000 less for a few less bells and whistles.

What should I look out for? Are there any problems that plague the earlier models? Should I pony up the extra 10 grand and get one that is newer?

WOW, buy the 2003 without the Nav. what a find!!!!

The '03, assume it has the 5-speed.

Both are priced near the NADA clean trade-in price. The 2003 does have vechile skid control (VSC) and probably 18" wheels versus 16" on 1998. The 1998 NADA price assumes a powered sun roof and leather interior. I'm not aware of any design defects peculiar to the 1998 or 2003 models.

If the 2003 has the 5 speed and larger wheels it is worth it if you care about gas mileage. The other nice feature of the newer model is VSC and ATrac.

Good Luck.

If it is for the wife, I will assume it is not for hardcore offroad - then go with the '03. If you are going to mod the heck out of it and drive it hard, go with the older and less expensive model.

This would definitely be a vehicle for the wife. It will become mine in a few years though. THEN it will be ready for some off-road use.

So it sounds like the 2003 is the way to go. No recurring problems with the older ones though?

If it is for the wife, I will assume it is not for hardcore offroad - then go with the '03. If you are going to mod the heck out of it and drive it hard, go with the older and less expensive model.
This would be my advice as well since I don't have a huge amount of disposable income. However, just looking at it as:

1998 $17.5k
2003 $29k

I do not feel the '03 is worth 165% the value of a '98. The '98 is on the flat part of the depreciation slope while the '03 is still on the steeper part of the slope. You gotta ask yourself if the 5-sp, VSC & ATRAC, updated interior and all that worth the extra $12k+. I say $12k because of the extra costs involved with the newer rig (sales tax in my state, insurance, registration). That said, I would love to have an '03 but I can think of a few uses for that twelve grand.

But I'm sure somebody will say one day when you've just overcooked a turn 50mph in the rain and about to skid off the mountain, and suddenly the VSC kicks in and brings you back on your intended path, you'll have gladly paid $20k extra for the newer rig. :cheers:

Last edited:
Since the '98 doesn't have the rear locker and if the extra $12k isn't a wallet buster I'd go with the '03. You'll probably have it along time...so buy as much as you can now. Others that have '00+ have said they are quieter, a bit more refined and possibly even better build quality than '98/'99 ('03 might be the best of all); TRAC, VSC & 5-speed!

The '03 will also have REAR A/C while none of the '98's do. Does the '03 have side/curtain air bags? They were an option then. $29K is an excellent price for a '03, IMHO.

cbmontgo,
I just traded my 1998 LC, with 165,000 miles, for a 04 LC with 38,000 miles. My 98 had rear lockers, though. Are you sure the one you are looking at does not?

Anyway, with that many miles, I still got $11,000 trade-in value for it. I paid $36,000 for the 04 (with Nav.) so either of the two you are looking for sound like good deals.

Advantage : 98 Price & 03 VSC,Trac and 5 spd.
I have a 98, bought it with 49K and now with 105K, no problems whatsoever, very reliable and preventive maintenance only.
The answer is in your wallet, if you can afford the newer one, go for it.
If not, you will be very happy with the 98.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom