Advice from my father. My dad was right and the Bears still SUCK. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I was sixteen my dad gave me my first car....a blue 1980 Buick century with 200,000 miles several dents and the most comfortable seats I have ever owned. All it needed was a brake job. So my dad took me down to the parts store and bought me everything i needed to do the job. When we got home I asked him if was going to do the work....He paused and said NO..... absolutely NOT....when I asked him why he said....I have done my last brake job.... Again I asked why....he said son I worked in my dad's shop as a kid and have done more brake jobs than I care to think about will never pick up a wrench again it's not worth my time. I have a game to watch.

So he gave me some quick instructions and I set out to replace the roters and brakes on my new car. When I finished I was pleased but realized I had 1 small bolt left over. hmmm. I had no Idea what it was for, so I went inside scratching my head to find my dad in his usual spot watching Walter Payton and the Chicago Bears as he always did on a Sunday afternoon...(pre 1985)...I said dad I need your help ....he said no...I said why...he says I am watching the game....I said who cares about the Chicago Bears, they SUCK... quit wasting your time I need your help....he relented and said ok ok what's wrong. I tell my dad I finished the break job but I have an extra bolt....do you think it matters?

He looks at me and laughs....He says Son....I have worked in the steel mills all my life and I have dealt with Ford, GM, Honda and Toyota for over 20 years....Trust me when I tell you this....if that bolt was not important and they could save a half million dollars per year by eliminating it don't you think they would have???? Go back out in the garage strip down the brakes and do it over again.

So 30 years later let me tell you...my dads wisdom still holds true....This morning I was working out an issue with my Saginaw power steering conversion, after fixing the issue I decided to turn the ignition to bask in the glory of my success......After about a half a crank I hear a light thud and everything went dead....I was like what in the hell??? I checked the usual.... battery....basic wiring....nothing...noda....then I thought well lets check the starter....I look down and to my surprise the starter was gone as in no longer there...I looked further down and see it dangling by its wires......I was like WTF.....looked at the bell housing and noticed that there was only 1 bolt holding it in place and that it ripped the mounting ear off the starter....I looked for the second bolt and noticed it was never installed....in my haste....I realized I never put the lower mounting bolt back when I installed the starter a few years back......DOH...

So the moral of the Story is...My dad was right and the Bears still SUCK.

Last edited:
Great story. Dad's have a way of imparting wisdom that stays relevant through the years.

rotor...

I like...

Tech. The lower bolt also holds the secondary ground strap to the frame. You should have noticed that too...unless your ground strap is missing too:doh:

Yep no ground strap to the frame...just to the battery.....but it made a great anchor line and prevented the starter from ripping my harness apart. ;)

You had the strap on the stud? I haven't seen that one. I thought it was only long enough to reach the bottom hole.

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom