Advice - Broken Radiator Drain Cock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wanted to thank you guys and @RAGINGMATT for making this fix easy for me. I decided to save the radiator. It looked pretty good inside so using Matt's new drain valve was the way to go. I first made sure I could get the old steel tube out of the bottom before I ordered it. I followed @bikersmurf 's advice and I couldn't believe I got it out so easily. The drain valve assembly worked perfectly. Matt even had added the liquid thread sealer to it so all I had to do was screw it in and tighten it up. Just finished a cooling system flush with a working drain valve.

This FJ40 hasn't been driven in almost 20 years. Previous to the radiator issue, I had replaced all wheel cylinders and MC a few weeks ago. Stoked that its running and the brakes are feeling pretty good. Next up are some minor electrical issues. The neighbors can't believe it:)

Last edited:
DSCN8458.JPG
DSCN8457.JPG

I wanted to thank you guys and @RAGINGMATT for making this fix easy for me. I decided to save the radiator. It looked pretty good inside so using Matt's new drain valve was the way to go. I first made sure I could get the old steel tube out of the bottom before I ordered it. I followed @bikersmurf 's advice and I couldn't believe I got it out so easily. The drain valve assembly worked perfectly. Matt even had added the liquid thread sealer to it so all I had to do was screw it in and tighten it up. Just finished a cooling system flush with a working drain valve.

This FJ40 hasn't been driven in almost 20 years. Previous to the radiator issue, I had replaced all wheel cylinders and MC a few weeks ago. Stoked that its running and the brakes are feeling pretty good. Next up are some minor electrical issues. The neighbors can't believe it:)

I’m glad it worked out so well for you. Heat and ice is a trick an old appliance repair guy who had spent time in areas where replacement parts weren’t available showed me. Heating and rapid cooling repeatedly can break free all sorts of coroded joints.

Last edited:
The CSF drain plug is basically a plastic M10x1.5, substitution wouldn't be the biggest hurdle. I didn't know that OEM '75 radiators were still in the jungle. Ideally, that, and some Gano filters for insurance would be the way to go.
IMG_7263[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom