If your upgrading the wiring it's a good time to move to a higher amp gm alternator with internal regulator. I also got rid of the amp meter and converted to a volt meter so your no limited in charging as the amp meter does. I like to use Delphi connectors personally.
After fighting through a lot of electrical gremlins and a melted harness, here's a few tips I have......
1. @Coolerman is a great resource for electrical supplies.
2. @ToyotaMatt has a great selection of switches that are nicely restored and have LED options.
3. City Racer LLC has new fuse blocks etc for some years
4. GET A FSM. The color schematics on Ebay are junk (my opinion) and often dont show enough detail and have incorrect colors.
5. I bought a power probe to help me out and it was great to have, especially when checking for bad grounds. not a "must have" tool but really handy. This link is to the spendier one, I think summit sells a version thats 70 bucks
Finally got some free time to start yanking the harness, I have found a few frayed wires already... most of the connectors have come off cleanly... I am encouraged overall. I never new my light switch had a bulb in it and I have driven this cruiser for almost a 1/4 century.
I have a few more connectors that were stubborn that wouldn't come off easily so I soaked them with some WD40 to break the 45 years of non-movement.