Advice Appreciated: Keep or Trade 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks!

Our beloved 1993 Land Cruiser just passed the 200,000 mile mark, and while it was at the Toyota dealer for some minor work, I spotted a very, very clean 2000 Cruiser with about 60,000 at a reasonable price: $29,000.

The dealer has offered $5,000 for mine, also a reasonable figure.

The 1993 is in very good, but not excellent condition, it has a number of minor blemishes outside and in from driver training six kids, towing campers, towing boats, hauling dogs and generally being an amazing work horse. The hood is beginning to rust under the front end, and the engine is leaking oil at a significant rate.

Two questions:

1. How many miles can I reasonable expect to get before having to do a major overhaul on the engine or transmission?

2. Would you keep or trade the 1993?

Thanks!
Dave

> I spotted a very, very clean 2000 Cruiser with about 60,000 at a reasonable price: $29,000.

Not really. Where are you located?

> The dealer has offered $5,000 for mine, also a reasonable figure.

Kinda Lowball offer, but depending on condition it might be true to real value.

We're in Pennsylvania. I should also mention that the 2000 has about 6 months worth of factory "certified" warranty on it. Thanks!

Hard to get a good truck for $5K now days, if you need an extra I would keep it. If you don't post where your at, someone here may buy it from you instead of trading it in.

What is the history of your Land Crusier? Did you buy it new in 1993 and done all the regularly schedued maintenance? If you know the history then you "know what you have".

Gauge said:
What is the history of your Land Crusier? Did you buy it new in 1993 and done all the regularly schedued maintenance? If you know the history then you "know what you have".

Yup. I bought it new and have done all of the regularly scheduled maintenance.

Similarly, the 2000 was one owner, leased from and serviced by the same dealer selling it now.

dbuffington said:
Yup. I bought it new and have done all of the regularly scheduled maintenance.

Similarly, the 2000 was one owner, leased from and serviced by the same dealer selling it now.

According to my Black Book of Auction Values for the Southwest (which I would think would be a stronger SUV market and certainly full of cleaner trucks), the average wholesale for a 2000 Cruiser with 60-70k miles is $21,500-$22,500. I think a $2000 profit is fair, so $29,000 is WAAAAYYYY TOO MUCHHHHH!!!!!.

For example, there is one in our corporate inventory here that will sell in the the low 20's. More miles, but you can buy a lot of airline tickets and extended warranties for $6-7000. Again, just an example of why $29K is too much. I think $26,000-$26,500 max for their truck and sell yours on eBay, or better yet KEEP IT for a playtoy.

elmariachi said:
According to my Black Book of Auction Values for the Southwest (which I would think would be a stronger SUV market and certainly full of cleaner trucks), the average wholesale for a 2000 Cruiser with 60-70k miles is $21,500-$22,500. I think a $2000 profit is fair, so $29,000 is WAAAAYYYY TOO MUCHHHHH!!!!!.

Agreed. That figure seems way out of wack. You're talking about a vehicle that is 5 or almost 6 years old. Personally, I don't do business with dealers, because you're competing against folks that don't do their homework and generally will pay too much for a vehicle.

For only that much I'd keep the 80 and build into a dedicated trail rig. Not necessarily hardcore trails if that's not your bag, but, just something that's always ready to go for a run and it doesn't really matter too much if you rub it against a tree or something.

If you don't trail ride then maybe it's time to reevaluate why you own a cruiser.

:D

Our beloved 1993 Land Cruiser just passed the 200,000 mile mark, and while it was at the Toyota dealer for some minor work, I spotted a very, very clean 2000 Cruiser with about 60,000 at a reasonable price: $29,000.

The dealer has offered $5,000 for mine, also a reasonable figure.

First off you're all talking stupid! When I wanted to buy my 1996 with 105k you told me $10,800 was way too much and you folks had bought them for insane low amounts like $7,000....

Seems every time somebody is selling a truck it's too low and every truck somebody wants to buy is too high!

To address the above quotes, that $5,000 isn't real money, you could get $4,000 off the 2000 with ease, no trade in so you'd only be getting $1,000 for the 93... Tell them you don't wanna trade it in, always say you're not trading anything in, give them your low ball researched figure and if they bite say okay you know what, I do wanna trade the 93 in. Now you'll get the real figure.

$5,000 is more then fair for a 200,000 mile 1993 if you ask me. Maybe $1,000 low but still very fair for a 13 year old SUV with 200,000 miles on it!

However, if it ain't broke why fix it? I wouldn't buy a $30k suv when I had what many would say is a better rig sitting in my driveway! You put $10k into that 93 instead $30k into the 2000 and you'll have a better rig anyway!

you would probably get $5,000 here or on ebay for a one owner truck even with 200k assuming no accidents and a decent history. if it has lockers you might get a little more.

$29,000 for the 2000 is too much imho.

$29k for a 2000 is not a good deal at all, in fact, it is a bad deal. I would expect a good deal to be about $23-24k.

semlin said:
you would probably get $5,000 here or on ebay for a one owner truck even with 200k assuming no accidents and a decent history. if it has lockers you might get a little more.

$29,000 for the 2000 is too much imho.

Agreed on both counts. But the dickering on the 2000 has yet to begin.

As for the original question...

How many miles can I expect to get on the '93 before I'm faced with major repairs?

Or let me put it another way...

What's the longest anyone here has gone _without_ putting major money into their 80?

Thanks!

I know I have heard of someone with 350k (IIRC) on original engine/tranny.

you are into the range where further miles won't depreciate it much and I don't think there are any obvious repairs coming in the next 100,000 miles, just lots of careful maintenance, minor stuff like tie rod ends and rotors, and a bunch of niggly little cosmetic things breaking or wearing on you. it really depends on how often you changed the oil and the other fluids and how you've treated her. there are lots out there into the mid 200s without issues. the only reason there's not more I would suspect is that people have only had 12 years to drive them!

there are a few mileage surveys out there so do a search

semlin said:
you are into the range where further miles won't depreciate it much and I don't think there are any obvious repairs coming in the next 100,000 miles, just lots of careful maintenance, minor stuff like tie rod ends and rotors, and a bunch of niggly little cosmetic things breaking or wearing on you.

Well put. I agree that the truck will just have a small stream of nuisances until you start seeing signs of major powertrain failure. But that might not come for another 200,000 miles. Chances are, your soft trim interior items are closer to wearing out than your powertrain.

sonoranfun said:
First off you're all talking stupid! When I wanted to buy my 1996 with 105k you told me $10,800 was way too much and you folks had bought them for insane low amounts like $7,000....

Seems every time somebody is selling a truck it's too low and every truck somebody wants to buy is too high!

To address the above quotes, that $5,000 isn't real money, you could get $4,000 off the 2000 with ease, no trade in so you'd only be getting $1,000 for the 93... Tell them you don't wanna trade it in, always say you're not trading anything in, give them your low ball researched figure and if they bite say okay you know what, I do wanna trade the 93 in. Now you'll get the real figure.

$5,000 is more then fair for a 200,000 mile 1993 if you ask me. Maybe $1,000 low but still very fair for a 13 year old SUV with 200,000 miles on it!

However, if it ain't broke why fix it? I wouldn't buy a $30k suv when I had what many would say is a better rig sitting in my driveway! You put $10k into that 93 instead $30k into the 2000 and you'll have a better rig anyway!

I agree with most everyone that 29k is way too high. Even in the over inflated Idaho market it is too high. One thing to consider when trading is that there is some advantage in some states even if you get less by trading. Sales tax in a lot of states is figured on the difference. So them showing you 5000 on trade may not be a true 5k in terms of trade but in Idaho that would mean a savings of 250 in sales tax. Something elese you need to figure. The more you are spending the more you can get the difference to be less, the less tax. Also, sometimes it isn't worth the hassle of trying to sell on your own. When I sold my 60, I had over $250 in advertising dollars and it still sat for like 6 months. It wasn't that I priced it too high it was that I had a unique market. The important thing is to always come up with a deal you are happy with and forget what anyone else says.

Eric V.

With gas prices on the way up the last few days I can't imagine any guzzlers going for a premium right now. I would never pay above book for a vehicle that is fairly easy to find.

Edit - good luck and don't let the "gotta have it right now" monster take over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom