Advice about delicate gas plumbing situation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have Steve come over to help. That will make sure it goes up in flames.

so let me get this straight, you have a ng line you think, that you want to use for a grill and you don't know if there's a shut off and the pipe shows signs of corrosion and you have people telling you to use spark generating tools to take the rusty cap off.....you should listen to them and go for it and take some video.

Oh and call the Gas Company and find out how much they love it when people shut off gas lines instead of calling them to do it.

damn steve your head has to be thumping by now!

two fire hazard threads in a row, and for the record i would not fawk with a natural gas line.

Using a grinder on a metal pressurized combustible vapor line.

You know April 1st is still a week away, right?

Its gonna open fine, there is tape right on the threads, put a counter torque wrench on the nipple and another to twist the cap off.
I have had a NG grill at both of my houses with a 1/2 cap on them that I removed and put a twist valve on for the grill.
Here is the steps I do.
1. wrench for the meter/gas shut off placed at the shut off as a precaution.
2. gather the new valve and gas specific pipe tape.
3. apply wrenches to loosen cap but do not remove entirely.
4. put tape on threads to neck of cap, quickly remove cap, gas will exhaust but its not a serious pressure, then finish tape on thread, and then place valve on pipe and thread on.
5. tighten valve and shut off valve.
6. dont smoke while doing this but in reality unless its confined space its got a very fine range for explosive detonation.

Last edited:
If you have to drain the entire house system, there could be a moderate volume of gas come out. Do you have a gas fireplace where you can let the pressure out?

There needs to be a valve for that line, it could be far from the wall in the middle of the house. It's probably off right now, so you'll have to find it.

I kind of doubt that there is a valve just for that exterior stub. Anyway, If the cap would come off easily there is nothing to it, valve or no valve.

Its gonna open fine, there is tape right on the threads, put a counter torque wrench on the nipple and another to twist the cap off.

snip

well, I like your optimism, but it doesn't look like tape to me, more likely dope which will probably not help. I really doubt it'll come right off and if I unscrew the nipple any, I'm screwed. I'm leaning away from trying to twist this thing off with brute force as is. Little room for error.

mmm.... how about if I manually hacksaw deep slits on the threaded part of the cap with plenty of oil after relieving the pressure in the gas system? As long as I don't cut through, it should be perfectly safe. I could then try to twist the cap gently and with a bit of luck the slit will have relieved stresses and/or the cap may just split open?

The hammering on it with a dolly is a good idea if I can do that without shaking the whole line.

(And what exactly do some of you think that a professional plumber would do to resolve this that a bunch of clever mudders can't think of? Plus I don't think he would be particularly worried about breaking the seal at the nipple junction ("Sorry Mam, through an act of god your line got unscrewed, we have to break the wall down, it'll be $2,000..." :rolleyes:) )

(and what is this about the gas company being upset if I turn off the main valve? what's wrong with that? isn't that what they are for?)

Last edited:
What is that paranoia about gas also? geez....

I wouldn't do it on purpose but I'm pretty sure you could have a pipe spewing off gas to the exterior at full pressure, set a match to it and the worst that'll happen is a big flame at the pipe that will go out when you turn the gas off... That's how all gas appliances and tools work after all.

Now if it were inside, and the gas could accumulate, that'd be a different story...

I'm not worried about the gas, I'll take proper precautions and I don't think there will be any danger. I'm worried about unscrewing the nipple.

Professor, you way overthink s***, put a pipe wrench on the nipple and and one on the cap and remove the cap, its not rocket science and been done on thousands of houses that come with this setup. Plumbers have been doing it for a hundred years, why should you be any different??
Or are you trying to make it difficult? Aka Scott style:meh:

well, I like your optimism, but it doesn't look like tape to me, more likely dope which will probably not help. I really doubt it'll come right off and if I unscrew the nipple any, I'm screwed. I'm leaning away from trying to twist this thing off with brute force as is. Little room for error.

mmm.... how about if I manually hacksaw deep slits on the threaded part of the cap with plenty of oil after relieving the pressure in the gas system? As long as I don't cut through, it should be perfectly safe. I could then try to twist the cap gently and with a bit of luck the slit will have relieved stresses and/or the cap may just split open?

The hammering on it with a dolly is a good idea if I can do that without shaking the whole line.

(And what exactly do some of you think that a professional plumber would do to resolve this that a bunch of clever mudders can't think of? Plus I don't think he would be particularly worried about breaking the seal at the nipple junction ("Sorry Mam, through an act of god your line got unscrewed, we have to break the wall down, it'll be $2,000..." :rolleyes:) )

(and what is this about the gas company being upset if I turn off the main valve? what's wrong with that? isn't that what they are for?)

well i guess you are right. the thing you are missing is what stops the flame from going in the pipe?
Natural gas only burns at about a 5% to 15% concentration in air, so it won't burn inside the pipe. I've accidentally opened a natural gas pipe that was pressurized, and just threaded it back together, so Calstyl's method would certainly work.

I'll be interested to hear if any gas flows when you do all this. I think code requires a dedicated valve for every appliance including outdoor grills, and it's probably off. My daughter's new house has that setup. But it sounds like Calsytyl has found them just open for business.

every time you turn off a lit gas outlet as in a stove, fireplace lighter etc, what happens? the flame dies out, it doesn't go in the pipe and make a big bang, does it?

when you turn it on, the "flame' doesn't go in and make a big bang either, does it? It just burns where there is oxygen...

Scott, I sure hope there isn't a valve, cuz I don't know where that would be...

I do have a gig LPG grill, btw.
the heck with all that refilling, I want NG...
no contest... well, at least if it's warm enough...

It probably doesn't have a shutoff valve, 'cause there's no appliance to shut off. The valve would go in place of the cap that's on there now.

Put a couple of wrenches on it and see if it's gonna give you any backtalk. It'll probably be very anti-climatic. The pipe dope should keep the threads rust-free and lubed. I've pulled gas stuff apart in my house that's 40+ years old like it was put together last week. Galvy water lines, on the other hand, are a bitch.

I'm running out of ideas.

All I've got left is plasma cutter or oxy-acetylene torch.

Scott, I sure hope there isn't a valve, cuz I don't know where that would be...

Maybe it doesn't, but if they installed a line specifically for an appliance it should. Check around by the furnace, follow the gas line, you may find it there. If there isn't one just be sure to install a gas valve out there, not just any valve. I'm going to help my son-in-law plumb his up, found the valve inside, think I'll put another out by the deck.

Maybe it doesn't, but if they installed a line specifically for an appliance it should. Check around by the furnace, follow the gas line, you may find it there. If there isn't one just be sure to install a gas valve out there, not just any valve. I'm going to help my son-in-law plumb his up, found the valve inside, think I'll put another out by the deck.

It does not, standard code here in the PRC, you add the valve at the end for what ever you put on the line, most use them for outdoor fire pits or grills.

THERE IS NO VALVE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom