Advice??? 94 fzj80 intermittent speedo, Code 42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Hello, Im trying to figure out the next step in fixing my speedo and flashing "OD OFF" light. The speedo doesn't work for the first 5-10 minutes of driving and throws the code 42. If I clear codes while 80 is warm (while speedo IS working) and immediately drive it, the speedo works and no OD off flashing. Odometer and Tripmeter work 100% of the time. Haven't tested out cruise yet as I don't want to damage anything driving on highway with transmission codes present.

So far, I...

Cleaned the grounds behind the intake, and under the intake.

Pulled Code 42, faulty speed sensor #1.

Replaced VSS#1

Still not working.

Tested new VSS per FSM and it tests good.

Should I pull and inspect the cluster next?

Has anyone had issues with the TCM?

Visible Wiring and grounds seem good, all other gauges on cluster work flawlessly (other than D light).

I haven't checked for melted wires by EGR yet..

I'm just trying to figure out what the best next move is. Thanks in advance for any info..

I've researched and researched on mud but it seems most related posts just end with no posts regarding a FIX.. they just end..

Thanks again.

Well, the FSM is pretty clear about these two problems, although I know from experience that isn't always the final answer. The troubleshooting chart (pages 45 and 47 of the Body Electrical section, Combination Meter) indicate the No. 1 Vehicle Speed Sensor, which is consistent with your DTC, and (4) options for your O/D indicator problem.

I would consult the FSM, both the BE section and the EWD (pages 120-125, Electrically Controlled Transmission and A/T Indicator), for reference in troubleshooting. (These are the '94 specific pages) At this point, I'd check the continuity, on both sides of the connectors leading to the VSS, O/D switch and then the Combination Meter, then the voltage on the hot side.

I haven't had this problem (knock on wood) on my '94, so I have no experience to share there. The two failures don't seem to be related, looking at the EWD anyway, since the wiring is in different areas, as are the wiring harness connections, and the combination meter areas (for the shift and speedo) aren't physically connected.

Since there seems to be an operational difference in cold and hot operation, I'd bet there's a harness failure, but then, I'll bet on almost anything ;)

I had the same problem. It was a damaged trace on the speedometer circuit board. I made a thread about it.

Here's the thread. If you see *any* discoloration on the circuit board, take a brass brush to it and check for continuity. I don't know why the traces fail, maybe it's related to leaking capacitors.

Here's the thread. If you see *any* discoloration on the circuit board, take a brass brush to it and check for continuity. I don't know why the traces fail, maybe it's related to leaking capacitors.
Thanks so much, I saw that thread when I was researching this issue..but couldn't find it again. Plan on pulling the cluster this weekend to inspect. Thanks again!!!

So I pulled cluster, and see no discoloration or broken areas. Has anyone just had the actual speedometer quit working (without noticeable burnt circuits)?

Hello!

Performing a little necromancy on this thread….

I’ve got a 1993 which has the flashing O/D light. The speedo and odo stopped working several months ago.

Pulling the code shows 42. Can any kind soul help me determine the correct part number for this?

I understand there are 2 VSS and want to make sure I buy the right one.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom