Advice: 454 Chevy/cruiser Drivetrain (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.foreverourstattoos.com
i built a 454 a couple of years back for a mud truck, i didnt build the mud truck and im getting ready to build up a cruiser trail rig...i wanted to know what kind of luck people who have tried it have had when it came to mating such a beast of power to cruiser axles...obviously your bown to get some breakage but was it worth it....

was also gong to mate it to a 350 transmission into the cruiser transfer case

i would go all 1 ton driveline for a 454..

That said i know a guy running a built 402 Big Block in his Jeep with a dana 44 front and he hasent had issues.. Some say a cruiser front axel is stronger than a 44..

id think that you would blow up t-cases often, and pinions.. so maybe get an orion and some fine splined pinions.. 30 splined longs up front and you could do it..

I wouldn't.

Not only because of breakage, but because a 454 mud truck engine built for high HP at high RPM's doesn't really fit a 40, unless that 40 is going to be a mud truck.

I'd rather wheel a strong running Toyota inline than some honkin big high revving v8.

I agree with isotel... If you plan to run a 454, run it with a th400 or sm420/465, a NP203/205 doubler, and D60 front (with 35spline outers) with 14bolt rear. Anything less and you will picking up parts from under your rig.

cruiserrg said:
I agree with isotel... If you plan to run a 454, run it with a th400 or sm420/465, a NP203/205 doubler, and D60 front (with 35spline outers) with 14bolt rear. Anything less and you will picking up parts from under your rig.

Well folks...there ya have it!!

I've got a friend with a 454 in a Sami. Now that's scary. He actually just sold it sans motor cause he couldn't keep the front down!

i actually built it for low rpm and all torque...not a screamer

the only reason i had remotely thought of the 350 tranny mated to it was because i had one laying around that had been recently been rebuilt...i like the idea of a 700R4 but i figured with a torque montser anyway i wouldnt need the gearing...but knowing me i would be rebuilding the th350 anyways...im notorious for breaking things...of course my philosephy is

if you dont break it... your not playing with it right

but this is exactly what i want to hear as far as info...i have alot of parts laying around from lots of projects, and im getting ready to build up a cruiser and dont want to do it all just to break it(all the time)...i geuss i already knew what i would hear just needed to hear it anyways... i have 2 350HO's and a 327 i could use also, there not built up but they run and it wouldnt take much to hop them up

i also have a running 73 FJ40 with the stock F , with a weber and header on it that i play with now but

keep it coming

Last edited:
fytattoo said:
i built a 454 a couple of years back for a mud truck, i didnt build the mud truck and im getting ready to build up a cruiser trail rig...i wanted to know what kind of luck people who have tried it have had when it came to mating such a beast of power to cruiser axles...obviously your bown to get some breakage but was it worth it....

was also gong to mate it to a 350 transmission into the cruiser transfer case

oh you... :princess:

I don't know about that...I loved my SBC350, but the 700R4 and 208 combo made it a really long drivetrain with 'itty bitty' drive shafts.

I agree, drop in a 327/TH350/Orion set up and wheel it. I think that would be hellafun.

Either way, go to Best Buy, get a digital camera, take pictures, install software for the camera on your computer, click "post reply" at the bottom left here, then browse, then upload some pics, cause this thread is usless without pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaa........

theres a guy in my town who has a fj40 with a 454 and either a th350 or 400 to a stock tcase and axles and 39.5 swampers. he just wheels it in the snow though.

You live in MN..

Get a 4wd rusted POS 3/4 ton 4x4 for $300 and use the drivetrain from that.

What do you need low gears for???

Orion will cost more than the whole running gear will.

Hey, we do have some rocks around here. You just gotta know where to look.

Mace said:
You live in MN..

Get a 4wd rusted POS 3/4 ton 4x4 for $300 and use the drivetrain from that.

What do you need low gears for???

Orion will cost more than the whole running gear will.

all ready bought a 78 rusted 3/4 truck and i paid $300 for it...that was the first project...i actually shortened the frame on it and had a landcruiser tub sitting on it...it was gross looking...couldnt do it...thats where i got the 350 tranny out of and it had a 350HO out some old monte carlo in it...the transfercase is i believe a 203?.....its the big honking chain driven one that weighs as much as the engine does...even spent $1500 on a 6 inch lift to stuff under it...anyone looking for a 6 inch lift for late model gm trucks and blazers...i got one really reasonable...me and my uncle were working on it, cuz at the time i had know place of my own to work on it...i left for a couple of days and when i came back, he had cut my clean rust free fj40 tub in half and had started making the ass end longer...took the two sets of front fenderes cut them all up and tryed to make them longer to lenthen the front end...i exploded on him... he pretty much had destroyed a cruiser and a half in less then a week...needless to say i dont work with him on projects anymore

what kind of pix would you have me post? i have some of a bare chassis with grass growing out of it...i should took one before i pulled it off the tree that grew trough the middle of it...it was bizzarre looking...a couple of a really pretty engine sitting on an engine stand...ill post pix if ever decide what im going to do and i get it done with lots of in process steps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom