Builds Adventure Cruiser "Rosey" - How Many More Times... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the time has come to create my build thread. I've purchased my rig, talked to tons of different people, dreamed about and lost sleep about where I want to go, I've ordered parts, and now it is time to get to work. A few months ago I picked up a 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser with just over 240,000 miles on her. She lived most of her life out west and then was brought to Georgia by her previous owner. Now she is with me in Virginia Beach getting a refresh at the spa! I am coming from a built 2012 Tacoma that was sitting on 35's; after seeing some of the 60 series that were being built on here, I knew what my dream rig was. So here is the plan:
Phase 1
  • Baseline the vehicle ✅
  • Spring over Axle conversion ✅
  • 80 Series locked rear axle conversion (Locker ended up being faulty) ✅
  • VTX wheels wrapped in Cooper ST/Maxx 315 75r16 (34.5ish" tire) ✅
  • Sliders & possibly bumpers front and rear
  • Lizard Skin interior of the cruiser ✅(partially)
Phase 2 (edit)
  • Vortec Motor Swap 5.3l LM7
  • 4L60E Transmission Swap
  • Holley Terminator X
  • Transfercase Rebuild with twin stick mod
  • Sliders
  • 3-Link front axle using 80 Series Front Axle
  • Fix hole in rear cargo area where previous owner serviced fuel pump

Here is how we are looking now:
(I threw in a picture of the mentioned Tacoma)

edit: As of January 13, 2021: acquired an LM7 out of a 2004 GMC Yukon, V8 Vortec swap is now commencing! Let the parts acquisition begin.

Cruiser-2.jpg
IMG_2206.JPG
8BFA7E37-9106-424B-B9E9-E3691B3A96E4.jpeg
Flexxed FJ62 Uhwarrie.jpg

Last edited:
sub'd. Was this on VA Beach Craigslist? It looks familiar..
Probably not, I found it from a guy who was in Georgia and moved up to Shenandoah area of VA. It was listed in Georgia Craigslist. He may have had it listed here too, I can't remember.

Subscribed. Wheeling in a 60 is going to be sooo much better then that Tacoma. My dad has a 13 and you can’t even see out of it, the top door is at my shoulder height.

With the tent on the back and the bumper up front it was hard to see anything. The scoop on the hood although small didn’t help either. The 60 series has windows everywhere its awesome to be able to see so much!

What are you doing for the front axle?

Keep on mind you need to cut and turn the front axle when you do the spring over. Nice looking 62. I am about an hour away down here in Currituck Nc.

Keep on mind you need to cut and turn the front axle when you do the spring over. Nice looking 62. I am about an hour away down here in Currituck Nc.
I got lucky, just a couple surface rust spots but nothing infectious. I've driven through Currituck a few times. The northern outer banks is a nice area, its a much better beach life than Va Beach! So, I have heard a few different opinions on a cut n' turn for the FJ62. I've read that it isn't as mandatory as it is on the FJ60, I was going to dive in and see what happened.

My front 62 axle is cut and turned and it travels effortlessly at freeways speeds with 1 finger on the steering wheel. I highly recommend taking the time to do the cut and turn if you are going SOA. Otherwise you're starting to cut corners and you'll love the bump steer.

My front 62 axle is cut and turned and it travels effortlessly at freeways speeds with 1 finger on the steering wheel. I highly recommend taking the time to do the cut and turn if you are going SOA. Otherwise you're starting to cut corners and you'll love the bump steer.
Absolutely no sense in not doing it right the first time. How many degrees did you turn?

I sent it to Profitt's Cruisers and paid them to do it right. I did not trust myself years ago when I was new to wrenching. So unfortunately I don't have info on that. Others in this forum can help you with that.

I sent it to Profitt's Cruisers and paid them to do it right. I did not trust myself years ago when I was new to wrenching. So unfortunately I don't have info on that. Others in this forum can help you with that.
I know I have read a few posts on it I just couldn't remember off the top of my head how far people were turning it. Is your rear a locked 80 series axle on your build?

I have an arb air locker in the rear diff and yes I am running a 96 FZJ80 Full Float Rear Axle. The rear differentials are interchangeable without issue. Figured I would swap axles while I was doing the chevy rear spring swap.

I have an arb air locker in the rear diff and yes I am running a 96 FZJ80 Full Float Rear Axle. The rear differentials are interchangeable without issue. Figured I would swap axles while I was doing the chevy rear spring swap.
I was going to ask if you kept the factory locker, but that answers my question. I think I am going to keep the factory locker and use a pneumatic actuator instead of the electronic actuator.

If it's an elocker I'd leave it as is. No reason to convert it.

I got lucky, just a couple surface rust spots but nothing infectious. I've driven through Currituck a few times. The northern outer banks is a nice area, its a much better beach life than Va Beach! So, I have heard a few different opinions on a cut n' turn for the FJ62. I've read that it isn't as mandatory as it is on the FJ60, I was going to dive in and see what happened.
I don't consider Va Beach a beach i worked at discount auto sound on Va Beach boulevard back in the early 90s into 2000. Corava beach is getting more and more popular and populated you now need a permit to drive out on the beach. If you have been down this way you have passed right by my place i have a 93 Toyota extra cab pickup that sits out front on 63 inch tall tractor tires i light it up sometimes with Christmas lights. Stop by next time your down this way. On the cut and turn i would get it done and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom