Advance Adapters New FJ60/FJ62 Low Gear Set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Overdrive and Low? Any Discussion on this?

http://www.advanceadapters.com/search_results.php?keywords=Fj60

Advance Adapters is proud to release its newest addition to the transfer case low gearing product lines. FJ60 and FJ62 Toyota Land Cruisers owners now have a true 4.0:1 low gear set available. Yes, there is some machining required on the case to fit the new gear set but you get a 10% overdrive (1.1:1 and a 4.0:1 low) with keeping the stock drivetrain. Kit 716938 is available for the 38MM cluster and the 34MM kit is currently being worked on. P/N 716938, Retail $1505.00

I would buy it in a heart beat, except for the $1500 price tag. I have the 3.0 low/underdrive gearset in my TC right now. I wouldn't mind going lower. I also spin too much rpm on the freeway so having an overdrive gear in the TC would also be nice. I might actually be able to use first gear around town.

For me this would be a dream gearset.

I have a set that is scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. I've already taken my split case apart and started documenting everything on my local 4WD forum (I have the H55/split case w/38mm idler in my 40). Georg has already documented the swap on here. Beware as I found the gears on my output shaft ride on bearings, the gears available from AA right now ride on bushings. Luckily Mark has what I need and is sending me a new output shaft. Now I just have to hope my parking brake fits the splines correctly.

If this all goes back together as I think it will, these gears are the ticket. I don't have to change exhaust, crossmembers, driveshafts, or shifter levers. I wasn't going to post anything up, but if someone wants me to I will put up my pictures and what I've done so far from a DIY perspective doing this on my back in my garage with no special tools...just as you would.

I have a set that is scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. I've already taken my split case apart and started documenting everything on my local 4WD forum (I have the H55/split case w/38mm idler in my 40). Georg has already documented the swap on here. Beware as I found the gears on my output shaft ride on bearings, the gears available from AA right now ride on bushings. Luckily Mark has what I need and is sending me a new output shaft. Now I just have to hope my parking brake fits the splines correctly.

If this all goes back together as I think it will, these gears are the ticket. I don't have to change exhaust, crossmembers, driveshafts, or shifter levers. I wasn't going to post anything up, but if someone wants me to I will put up my pictures and what I've done so far from a DIY perspective doing this on my back in my garage with no special tools...just as you would.

Pictures are always welcome. be nice to see how it goes together.

Price vs. a H55 conversion

I would buy it in a heart beat, except for the $1500 price tag. I have the 3.0 low/underdrive gearset in my TC right now. I wouldn't mind going lower. I also spin too much rpm on the freeway so having an overdrive gear in the TC would also be nice. I might actually be able to use first gear around town.

For me this would be a dream gearset.

Well, if it can make a H41 or H42 freeway capable and provide a low gear, it might be price competitive with a H55 swap, especially for us luckless folks with H41's. I'll be interested in watching this thread and see the results on the regearing.

Glenn in Tucson

Which years have 34mm shaft?
Which years have 38mm shaft?
Would this work in a 84 Fj60? (not that I have $1500 + install!)

Uhm unless Advanced Adapters has a typo I'm reading that you are getting a 10% underdrive not overdrive.

From their description.
Note: This Gear set will also alter your high range ratio. The high range ratio will now result in a 10% underdrive.

Looks Great, except for the price. If these parts were marketed for jeeps you could buy them for $400.
And I would have a set of them in my vehicle.

Have a look what trail gear sells for t-case's for a price comparison.

Its good that vendors are making parts for this market, but sometimes its seems like they can monopolize things a bit. Still, good on them for making this kit, dont mind my sub-optimistic perspective.

Limited number of people are going to buy these. Huge expense designing and having a small number manufactured. I don't see anything wrong with the price of these considering the company that is making them.

To add to this specific discussion...I agree with Trollhole. Limited market, can't share development over large quantities, etc. It still sucks. D300 4:1 gearsets are 1/4 of the price of these. But looking at the whole picture, I do not have to redo driveshafts, exhaust, crossmembers, and shifter linkages. It's a bargain compared to buying a Toybox and everything else involved with it. Depending on application, there may not be enough space for a doubler, as in my case.

Limited number of people are going to buy these. Huge expense designing and having a small number manufactured. I don't see anything wrong with the price of these considering the company that is making them.

Well, I dont know maybe there is a whole bunch of research to develop these.

But in contrast to what you get a trail gear for mini trucks:
2.28 transfer case gear set $299: Toyota, Suzuki Samurai, and Jeep Off Road Parts

trail creeper 4.7 gear set $469

even their dual case adapter at $319
:meh:

The high range is still 1:1, like the stock case.

I agree that these are expensive but its no where near the cost of a toybox, new driveshafts, new crossmember, etc. I would love these gears in my rig.

These gears will work in 86-87 split cases that have the 38mm idler and bushing supported output.

Last edited:
To quote my marketing prof: "Pricing is the toughest problem". If you start out high, you can always come down, have a sale, private-label some, put 'em on eBay under an assumed name...

But if you start out low you'll have a hard time moving up, particularly if you aren't making any money.

Gears are tougher to design & produce than they look. A HS buddy was complaining about the $5K price of custom R&Ps for a Vanagon (!?) & asked what I thought it would cost to have someone custom-design & CAM a set. I told him $5-10K.

These gears will work in 85-87 split cases that have the 38mm idler and bushing supported output.

Just a minor correction--4/86 was the start of the 38mm idler shaft transfer case, and ended with the start of Fj62 production which uses a different output.

So late 86 and 87 are the only cases compatible without additional swaps.

Just a minor correction--4/86 was the start of the 38mm idler shaft transfer case, and ended with the start of Fj62 production which uses a different output.

So late 86 and 87 are the only cases compatible without additional swaps.

Post fixed, thanks for the heads up. For some reason I was thinking the 38mm idler started when the longer h42 was introduced to this market.

IMHO....

You can buy an Atlas 2-speed new for about $2k. You can find them used for less. Sure it will add up to more once it is installed.

I would rather spend the extra money and get an Atlas.

IMHO....

You can buy an Atlas 2-speed new for about $2k. You can find them used for less. Sure it will add up to more once it is installed.

I would rather spend the extra money and get an Atlas.

Ya, Im sure that if you compare all the options, the t-case gears price wise aren't bad for an upgrade. But for a bit more you could run an adapter to a nv4500 or sm465 or whatever and be a bit more $$, but have a lot more transmission and gearing.

In terms of wanting to sell high because it is harder to bring the price up later, as to not knowing what the market will do, or the costs of engineering, well AA is a big outfit and they've been around a little while, I would think they'd have engineering direction for this, and have an idea of how off road parts will sell by now.
:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom