Adopting Shelter Dogs - this is getting out of hand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Biden's Puppy Breeder: "Never, Never, Never Again" | NBC Philadelphia

Now on to what I have to say about this, as if anyone cares.

When it comes time to get a dog I am going to be pretty specific as to what I want. If I can find the puppy that fits that bill, then I will adopt from a shelter. But most of the time you cannot find what you want, and you don't know the family history behind the dog you are adopting.

For example. I was wanting an English Mastiff with good genetics as to have less of a chance to get hip problems. I looked around at the shelters online first. I found multiple dogs, even a local rescue house that had a whole family of Neopolitan Mastiffs, which I would have gladly rescued(one of the puppies).

I contacted various rescue facilities trying to adopt one of these puppies instead of buying from a breeder. All said either you can't adopt because we don't want to come that far to inspect your house, or other various excuses.

A breeder doesn't ask those questions. You pay and you pick the puppy you want. Every place that I have rented has had a very large "play" area near it that I would gladly take a pup to play at.

So I guess what I am saying is, if they didn't make it so hard to adopt/rescue one of these pets that NEED you to take it home, then maybe more would be adopted.

lunyou

I think it's just yet another example of PETA being a bunch of fxxxin high strung dimwits who know nothing and know it the loudest. If they are so fxxxing high and mighty why don't they all adopt those shelter dogs?

Personally, I would go to a breeder if I wanted a purebred with papers. I prefer mutts and therefore we get our dogs from the Humane Society. They do not inspect your house or any crap like that. You go in, find a dog you're interested in, take it for a walk(they have little private yards you take the dog to and see if it fits you and your family). If you find one that fits, you pay a fee and take it home. If not, come back next week. Simple.

I feel bad for this breeder. She shouldn't be punished by the animal rights extreme just because she sold a dog to a public figure.

"Brown says she and Biden both received death threats from animal activists."

I have the feeling that if that really happened, those PETA whackos would be getting a visit from their friendly, local Secret Service agents for sending death threats to the VP, no matter how much of a douche that he is:meh:

My wife does a lot of volunteer work for a Los Angeles dog rescue. They have the same policies you describe (must visit the home, interview adopter, etc). The reason they enforce these policies and won't adopt far away is due to the overwhelming high number of people who just dump their newly adopted dogs off at local shelters because its either too much work, didn't like the dog, or they are just *******s. The rescue then has to go pick up the dog because their name is still linked to it. It sucks, but they've been burned too many times and don't have the resources to go after these dogs.

But I will say that in general, the people who run these rescues are typically bleeding heart liberals who think they are doing the right thing, but many times pass up a good home waiting for the perfect adopter. Its a very frustrating part of working in the rescue.

Some breeders are the complete opposite. They will sell to anyone without regard to the welfare of the dog and are just in it for the money.

A breeder doesn't ask those questions. You pay and you pick the puppy you want. Every place that I have rented has had a very large "play" area near it that I would gladly take a pup to play at.

Good breeders do. Breeders that don't are the problem not the solution.

So I guess what I am saying is, if they didn't make it so hard to adopt/rescue one of these pets that NEED you to take it home, then maybe more would be adopted.

Adoption agencies are careful because they don't want to see the dogs back in the system again. They also want the dogs to be happy and to go to good homes. They actually care about the animals.

I love mutts. They have their place, and their owners. No need for papers unless you plan on breeding. Dogs that are for companionship should get fixed and loved to death.

I'll only go breeder. I've had both and I know what it means.

My shepherd is at bootcamp right now getting her certification(s). This particular breeder flat said she would never allow anybody to pick a pup. She "places" them and her waiting list is long. Some are k-9 police, some are show, and some are home defense. She wouldn't allow a high energy alpha into a bleeding heart snoochie boopsie ootsie cutsie home with no boundaries because she knows what's up and can read pups and people.

It would be nice if everybody had to take a test to own a dog. I've seen some unchecked dogs cause some real problems because their owners were idiots.

Kudos to Biden, my sympathy to the breeder.

Although, at times I agree with what PETA is trying to do or say, people should treat animals with ethics in mind, but this is bad news in my mind. For one thing, it's the VP of the US. There are other fish for him to fry in the world. For another, if someone wants a very specific type or breed of dog then they should be able to go a breeder. I personally use Petfinder.com to find dogs for people. I found my dog that way, but I had to look at almost a dozen dogs before I found my little guy. Any brand of dog you want is on there. I like Aussies and Border Collies, but that's just me. Check it out!

Every mutant that can procreate can have a kid without a test, why should a dog be any different?:flipoff2:

I also think lots of people should be "fixed". Kind of scary. :D

I'm okay with dumb people owning goldens.

If you buy a pit, rotty, gsd, dob or a gun you should be able to pass a test.

I just think of those "good pets gone bad" vids and it's more like "trailer trash got high".

I also think lots of people should be "fixed". Kind of scary. :D

Depo Provera shots and mandatory drug tests for all my friendly welfare recipients and other crack heads living off the gov't tit:flipoff2:

WTF is wrong with people. I think PETA should rethink their position...cause if this is it, I no longer support them.

WTF is wrong with people. I think PETA should rethink their position...cause if this is it, I no longer support them.

I agree, it seems like PETA has gone away from trying to get people to recognize where their food comes from and how testing on animals should only be done when there is no safe way to test the same stuff on humans and the research is vital to finding ways to cure human ailments, and is now targeting anything they want, as long as it pays their bills. I just read they are also going after the Pet Shop Boys to change their name to something less "insidious". I think it puts them in a small minority of potential supporters. Maybe they have gotten some huge contributions from somebody and now they feel the need to ramp up their efforts. I think this new strategy alienates people like me, that think we should be doing everything we can to make all beings on Earth live lives where respect is important, and they are trying to up the ante to include anything that doesn't fit their outlook on things. I personally find these trends to be even more whacked out than they were before, and I used to think that PETA had it's place and was a legit organization.

....A breeder doesn't ask those questions. You pay and you pick the puppy you want. Every place that I have rented has had a very large "play" area near it that I would gladly take a pup to play at...

The type of breeder you go to doesn't ask those types of questions. One of the best Great Dane breeders in the US is in Missouri -- Diamond Danes. Their dogs are of the finest American and European bloodlines. They will not sell a dog to any swingin' dick who walks in off the street whether he has the money or not.

I should know, I owned a Diamond, and paid top dollar for him. The types of questions I got were very similar to the types of ones you get at a rescue society. They wanted to make sure I had previous large breed experience; they wanted to make sure I could afford proper food and care; they asked for my vet's name so they could call him for a reference... you name it. In the end, when I took the dog home, they told me that if I had any problems with the dog, that I was to call them. If I lost my job and could not keep him, that they would come and get him and take him back rather than see him go to a humane society or other shelter.

A reputable breeder does not consider the matter closed just cause you forked over money. A responsible breeder is willing and capable of being responsible for the animal from womb to tomb if need be.

Last edited:
Since we lost our Golden We have been looking for a dog to adopt. :frown: I have been looking for a while now and have filled out adoption papers. Just waiting for the right dog now. I don't mind having to answer questions and have a home inspection. I have decided to not go the breeder route this time. There are so many good dogs that need good homes Well see how it goes. I am not in a hurry.

I can't say that this surprised me. Animal rescue people have a tendency of being pretty rabid/stupid. I dealt with three rescues via phone/email before settling on one to adopt from. The place seemed reputable, but in the end...they'd completely misrepresented the dogs health (he had hip issues).

They had intentionally misled me because they figured once I got him, I'd be willing to get soaked on his medical bills. I'm a full-time college student. I was completely prepared to spend a few hundred dollars here and there, and a bit more for emergency care. Inside of two weeks, I'd already spent more than $300 (ex. X-rays, anesthesia, etc.).

They wound up taking him back, but I think that was more due to the fact that they knew they'd tried to screw me and they didn't want me making life difficult for them. I won't make the mistake of going through a rescue again. I'll just spend the $800+ for a good puppy next time (Belgian Malinois).

Last edited:
The type of breeder you go to doesn't ask those types of questions. One of the best Great Dane breeders in the US is in Missouri -- Diamond Danes. Their dogs are of the finest American and European bloodlines. They will not sell a dog to any swingin' dick who walks in off the street whether he has the money or not.

I should know, I owned a Diamond, and paid top dollar for him. The types of questions I got were very similar to the types of ones you get at a rescue society. They wanted to make sure I had previous large breed experience; they wanted to make sure I could afford proper food and care; they asked for my vet's name so they could call him for a reference... you name it. In the end, when I took the dog home, they told me that if I had any problems with the dog, that I was to call them. If I lost my job and could not keep him, that they would come and get him and take him back rather than see him go to a humane society or other shelter.

A reputable breeder does not consider the matter closed just cause you forked over money. A responsible breeder is willing and capable of being responsible for the animal from womb to tomb if need be.
OK, Kid lets talk about this. So you got a great dog from a breeder. That is sweet! Sounds like they had their s*** together and asked all the right questions and made you feel good by offering their Buyback program.

Now, lets take my dog. He seems like a purebred Aussie, he is the ever so sought after, Blue Merle color...Because Blue Merle is sought after, many breeders will breed their Blue Merle Aussies with other Blue Merle Aussies.

Guess what? Blue Merle is a recessive gene, and you will always get a litter of Blue Merle pups when you breed them. Unfortunately, since it is a recessive gene, the pups have a great chance to be blind or deaf or both. I looked at about ten dogs that suffered from these problems and I feel super grateful that my little guy doesn't have either affliction. But, what about all those other dogs? A responsible breeder wouldn't do that. They would take their chances with their breeding stock and hope that a few turned out Merle. Red Merle is even more specific. I have seen two,I say two, red merle Aussies that weren't blind or deaf or both...

Our local rescue drives people to the pet shops. I don't know how they adopt any dogs out. They are just bizarre. Nobody is good enough for one of their dogs. People want a dog, go look, wait two weeks to hear back, and go to a pet store and buy from a puppy factory. They are worse than useless.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom