adjusting the emergency brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need one of those idiot guides for working on you FJ. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the e-brake? I am on the last notch! Thanks

Are the shoes still OK?? Or do you mean on the handle in the truck? E-brake is adjusted down at the transfer case with the square head which sticks out of the e-brake backing plate. Tighten up till it grabs with the e-brake released then back off a notch or two till it rotates freely. If there is no more adjustment there check the e-brake shoes.

in addition to the adjuster on the shoes, you can adjust the cable at the firewall by screwing/unscrewing the nuts on the cable housing

cable adjustment depends on the year....IIRC, my 72-ish cable is non adjustable.

See the tech section, I did a writeup on e-brake installs. ctrl-F, search for brake or something.....

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/e-brake.html

Assuming you have the handle up by your steering wheel, there is an adjustable tensioner running through the firewall. (the adjuster down at the drum didn't tighten it enough for me) Simply loosen the nut on the inside of the firewall, and screw the adjuster so it moves into the engine compartment a bit, tighten the nut on the inside, and check for adequate ebrake holding power. If it's good enough, tighten the nuts on both sides, and you should be golden. Assuming your ebrake shoes are still good, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom