Adjusting for Altitude (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
andrewloe.com
I'm in a hotel in Laramie, WY right now. Coming from sea level, the cruiser is running pretty rough at 9000 ft. Tomorrow morning I'm going to have a local carb guy re-jet and adjust it (Weber 38 - yea yea deal with it.). Besides that and potentially advancing the timing, is there anything else I should check? I will keep the old jets so I can return it to normal once I move back down from alt.

Baton Rouge, LA -> Jackson, WY

Oh, and whats a fair price for work like this?

Good luck. the Weber "high elevation" jets are for 5,000 ft. so they aren't going to lean out your truck as much as it needs. I fought this long and hard on my 1982 60 when I lived in CO at 8,500 ft, worked at 5,800 ft and wheeled either higher than the 8,500 ft in the mtns or lower than the 5,000 ft in Moab. I also had the Mallory ignition but ditched it for the DUI setup which helped. Eventually I fixed it all by getting a FZJ-80 :grinpimp:

I wish I could get a locked 80 40th, but its pretty far out of my budget. There are no jets that will allow me to get a proper mixture over 5000 ft.? I am not going to be moving around that much.

Don't underestimate the influence of timing. The 2F is very sensitive to it and even more so at high altitude. Most of us at mile high and above run about 13 dbtc, which is the BB at the bottom end of sight window for the flywheel. Try that and maybe in combo with the leaner jets you'll get the driveability you need.

I've driven a properly tuned and tweaked FJ60 perfectly well over 13K ft.

I ran the 38 for a year before dumping it. No way would it adjust for over 5000ft. It will work, just plan on burning lots of fuel. Get use to black soot in your tail pipe.
Also advancing the timing to 10 degrees tdc helps start the fuel burning early and maybe more completely.

devo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom