Additional rust proofing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I know Toys have good undercoating/rustproofing. Is it worth giving her a thorough steam cleaning and drop her off at a rust proofing place before taking her to Chicago? How about some preventative measures for the most common areas that show signs of rust, like tailgate and such? I really don't want to watch another vehicle of mine slowly melting in front of my eyes in Chicago area :-\

Thanks.

Ash

Ash,

I used to live in Syracuse, so I can appreciate your concerns. But IMO Toyota does a really good job of rustproofing these days, and if it were my truck, I'd go without the aftermarket goo. I've seen and heard of cases where the rustproofing they apply has actually caused problems due to blockage of weep holes and trapping of salt/dirt--espeically when applied to a used vehicle. I'd just be anal about keeping the truck clean.

Wax it good. That'll help the tailgate issues. The old thick undercoating would trap water, block drain holes and cause rust. They would also drill holes in the rockers to spray inside them and cause rust around the holes. The 80s don't rust anything like the old ones.

Thanks dudes. Todd, we'll hook up once I'm back in Chicago.

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom